Alfine 11/disc performance hybrid build

technut
technut Posts: 19
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
My winter project 2010/2011 is to build a performance hybrid with an Alfine 11 hub (October), hydro disc breaks, etc.. I've been looking for a well engineered aluminum frame with sliding rear dropouts, carbon fork, and disk break tabs. So far I have a few in mind:

Swobo - Crosby Frame (aluminum frame, carbon fork, same geometry as their Baxter)
Civia - Hyland Frame (aluminum frame, steel fork)
Civia - Bryant Frame (cromoly frame & fork, but this one splits for a Gates belt drive)

Anyone know of others?

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    genesis day 1
    on-one pompetinie(sp?)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    genesis day 1
    on-one pompetinie(sp?)

Those are both steel. An aluminium alternative might be hard to come by.

There's also the Cotic Roadrat (also steel though).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MrChuck wrote:
    genesis day 1
    on-one pompetinie(sp?)

Those are both steel. An aluminium alternative might be hard to come by.

There's also the Cotic Roadrat (also steel though).

The Bryant and the Hyland listed are both also steel.

Worth noting that the Hyland originally came with a carbon fork, but it was recalled in February. The braking forces from the discs were causing cracking on the crown.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Thanks guys!

They all would work, with the On-One Pompetamine ($223) on par with the Hyland ($250). By the way, the Hyland is listed as 7000 series aluminum on Civia's website. Still the Swobo Crosby looks the best though it's more expensive ($549), aluminum frame, and a carbon fork designed to handle the disc break forces. Swobo uses the same geometry on their Baxter, but won't sell the Baxter frame (IGH cable routing and no v-break bosses seem to be the only differences).

I'll continue my patient search,

Technut
  • technut
    technut Posts: 19
    I found it! I saw a Felt X-City 1 online and loved it. However, Felt will not sell the Frameset. I checked around Portland and found a 2009 X-City 2 built-up as a fixie for a great price. I'll replace the fork with a disc specific carbon and recycle the fixie parts to my wifes bike (they're all new). Nice way to get a killer frame without waisting any expensive parts. I'll post photos when it's complete. Happy wrenchin!