Bib shorts keep riding up

Slater
Slater Posts: 80
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
I'm not trying to be crude here but do your bib shorts ride up your crack? At the start of a ride they feel fine but after a few miles of in and out of saddle climbing they start creeping up my crack and give an awful wedgie feeling. I'm always stopping to adjust. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong or do you just accept it and carry on.

My current pair are Gore Ozon size medium

I also have a pair of DHB earnly medium

Also had a pair of Assos Uno medium which where the worst so I sold on ebay.

All 3 pairs where different in size even though they are all a medium. All give the same feeling.

I'm 5' 10" inside leg 32" weight 11.4 stones

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have DHB Earnley bibshorts and DHB Merston bibtights. Neither of them do what you describe, but round here I don't have to do much out of the saddle stuff. The pad on the Earnleys is pretty substantial; if that started burrowing up my @rse I'd be most disconcerted.

Are your shoulder straps very tight?
  • Slater
    No, the shoulder straps don't feel tight at all on the Gore or the DHB but the Assos where so tight they made my shoulders ache. The leg grippers where slack on the Assos so a large would have been to big.

I even tried tying a knot in the shoulder straps on the Gore's to pull them tighter which at first felt good but after a few more climbs out of the saddle the wedgie was there.

I also have the Merston tights and it's the same with them.
    You could try putting your Manpon in before getting dressed? :P
  • all mine are fine, dhb's.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    all mine are fine, dhb's.
    very insightful
    anyway
    maybe you are going to have to test a few other brands as bib short manufacturers all seem to have their 'spin' on how to make a good bib shorts.
    try a few Italian makes... Santini or Nalini... I know there's gonna be cost but you cant go on having to hitch out your pants every 20 mile can you? Not worth cycling.
    You may have to bite bullet and use non bib type.
    It sounds like the grippers on the leg are failing on you - they shouldnt... should be comfortably tight to hold shorts in place.
  • Slater
    JGSI wrote:
    you cant go on having to hitch out your pants every 20 mile can you? Not worth cycling.

I wish I could make it 20 miles. I can't even go 5 without adjusting.
    Never had this problem, I'm not quite sure how they can do it (assuming they have a decent pad in them) :?
  • JGSI wrote:
    all mine are fine, dhb's.
    very insightful
    anyway
    maybe you are going to have to test a few other brands as bib short manufacturers all seem to have their 'spin' on how to make a good bib shorts.
    try a few Italian makes... Santini or Nalini... I know there's gonna be cost but you cant go on having to hitch out your pants every 20 mile can you? Not worth cycling.
    You may have to bite bullet and use non bib type.
    It sounds like the grippers on the leg are failing on you - they shouldnt... should be comfortably tight to hold shorts in place.

so everyone else comes out with absolute dribble about inserting manpons etc and i comment saying DHB's cause me no problems, and you come out with that.....

:roll: truncheon....
  • Have you tried Embarassing Bodies?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    You are wearing them the right way around, aren't you??
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Slater wrote:
    I'm not trying to be crude here but do your bib shorts ride up your crack? At the start of a ride they feel fine but after a few miles of in and out of saddle climbing they start creeping up my crack and give an awful wedgie feeling. I'm always stopping to adjust. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong or do you just accept it and carry on.

All 3 pairs where different in size even though they are all a medium. All give the same feeling.

I can't speak for the Gore or DHB but your Assos are the wrong size, you a similar height as me and I take a large, reason being is that Bib shorts with Assos are worked on height not waist, so no wonder they are tight.

Get yourself the large and you won't believe how comfortable the Assos really are.

HTH
  • Slater
    Velonutter wrote:
    Slater wrote:

I can't speak for the Gore or DHB but your Assos are the wrong size, you a similar height as me and I take a large, reason being is that Bib shorts with Assos are worked on height not waist, so no wonder they are tight.

Get yourself the large and you won't believe how comfortable the Assos really are.

HTH

Not acording to Assos' own sizing chart on their website.
    http://www.assos.com/en/63/sizing.aspx

They say a medium is for people who measure between 170-179cm. I'm 177cm. I did think about trying the large but I think the leg grippers would be too loose. There are plenty of people my height and taller who wear the medium. I searched every cycling forum I could find before I bought them and there was a mixture of people saying large or medium for my height. I'm still tempted to try the large.

Edit 23/10/10
    I e-mailed Assos my exact measurements and they agreed that Medium was the right size for me. I have also read all the 130 reviews on Wiggle's site for the uno and the majority of people my height and taller are happy with the medium. So Velonutter - it looks like it's you who have the wrong size Assos.

Edit 28/10/10
    I took a big risk and bought a pair of Assos FI 13 S5 in a size medium. The fit is perfect and there is no Wedgie whatsoever.