blenheim Sportif

GusG
GusG Posts: 4
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all.

I will be taking part in my first sportif this weekend. What can I expect I here that the blenheim 60 mile is a real challenge.

regards gus

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The 100 is a bit more challenging - why not do that? If you can do 60, 100 is within your grasp and you get the huge burst of achievement through doing it.

What to expect? It's well organised but get to the start in good time so as not be dashing about and so as not to set off and find that you've left your water bottles in the car. The food halt at Lower Swell is v good (was last year) serving bacon butties, tea, coffee, soup & free Gaotorade if you're up for it.

The 60 route has a few hills but nothing of any magnitude so nothing to be scared of. The pace is up to you - hook up with whichever group matches your ability and do as they do. In short, it's a cracking event, well marshalled & well signed. A very good first sportiv.
  • All depends on how your legs feel at the Lower Swell split point I guess, but bear in mind this is quite early in the ride. The extra loop for the 100 miles course is definitely tougher than the 60m section (well the final quarter of it with the climbs is!).

I rode part of the course last week and would warn anyone taking part to watch out for the potholes on the drop from Stow to Lower Swell and the road gets pretty bumpy just after the big drop at Snowhill.
  • One thing you can expect is rain. The forecast looks awful. Let's hope they're wrong. :roll:

I'll be there with two mates. We're only doing the 100k because it's the first sportive for one of us also. Have a great time on the ride. Other events and sideshows in the grounds make this a good day out.
  • GusG
    GusG Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the event is going ahead. Looks as if we are going to have some really bad weather.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Am registered for the 100m route but am switching to the 60m route to be with friends.

Given we have booked lunch at The Crazy Bear afterwards, in view of the weather it looks like we have made the right call!
  • CiB
    GusG wrote:
    Does anyone know if the event is going ahead. Looks as if we are going to have some really bad weather.
    It's not golf is it? Looking forward to a good soaking personally. You get wet, either from the inside or the out. Not much difference in the end. :)
  • First sportive ride for me. Cant wait only 60 mile thou :(
  • CiB
    So how did it go for you all? The weather was foul just before the start with an absolute monsoon and the mud seeped into my shoes a bit too easily for my liking, but it did seem to clear a bit later. The wind looked a bit blowey though.

I ask because my seat post clamp failed when I was setting the bike up at the car, just prior to the start, and there's no way I can do a century with my knees up around my ears - clown bike anyone? That's what it might as well be. Had to withdraw - absolutely gutted seeing riders making their way to the start line whilst I had to slump back to the car with a non-rideable bike. Next year maybe?

Miffed. :twisted:
  • I was down to ride, but a week before I hurt my back, so decided to give it a miss. Shame really when looking at the weather :D

Maybe next year?
  • CiB wrote:
    So how did it go for you all? The weather was foul just before the start with an absolute monsoon and the mud seeped into my shoes a bit too easily for my liking, but it did seem to clear a bit later. The wind looked a bit blowey though.

I did the 100miler.

Started @ 8:50 as was unsure if I was going to start in the bad weather. I also took an age to get ready and cooked until the first feed stop in base layer, ss jersey and thin waterproof jacket.
    Starting at that timem it took nearly 10 miles to catch and pass the broom wagon :?

Weather was damp but most of the wet was coming from the road. Wind was very strong.

The 60 mile route was fantastic. The extra 40 miles to make the 100 mile route on the other hand were brutal with the climb after Winchcombe being pure evil :evil: . I had a stop or be sick moment on that climb!

However, it was the best sportive I have done. The marshalling was excellent and feed stop (bacon rolls & coffee/tea) at Lower Swell that the 100 visited twice was just what is needed.

I will ride this event again, but start on time next time :roll:
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Is the route published? I'd like to take a gander with next year in mind.
    Purveyor of "up" :)