crud road racer 2

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
just got some of the crud road racer version 2's onto my roadie bike. seem to fit really well. never had the originals so no idea what they're like but seem easy enough to unfit if need be and fitting again looks simple.
got them for 24.95 from fleabay. thought i'd order them to take rides when its damp as well as in the better weather.
used plenty of frame wrapping to protect the frame against any rubbing from attaching the guards at the various points.
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some thoughts (and pics) of these here -

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12718891
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    These are tempting, would you say they'd be worth buying for my winter bike when I've got SKS Full cover mudguards on already? Or are they no better?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    freehub wrote:
    These are tempting, would you say they'd be worth buying for my winter bike when I've got SKS Full cover mudguards on already? Or are they no better?
    SKS are better. If you can fit full guards, use them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, if you can have proper guards, I'd definitely use them!!
  • they wont fit my new secteur without rubbing the wheels
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have to say that I found them a bit on the flimsy side. My set just sort of fell to pieces one small bit at a time - look good and work well though.

I've just replaced mine with a halfords set that clamp only onto the fork legs and the seat stays, and have to say they are much better IMO. Also there is no rubbing issue as they don't pass under the brakes so full adjustability. Nice and strong as well.

Having said the above though I know (now) that Mr Crud apparently does give great customer service and I could probably have got replacement bits from him had I known. Bet Halfords won't do that!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Holy thread revival; traied to fit these to my S1 last night but unfortunately there was no chance on front or the rear.

Damn. Gonna get we this week.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I'm very happy with the Mk I set I've had for a year (never took them off, I'm lazy plus it rains a lot here). I'll be getting the Mk II set for the new bike when it finally comes.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Rode for a year with mine on the jake and some thoughts include:

-they flap about a bit
    -side winds can make them rub against the tyres
    -some forks have fitting issues. I had to mount mine higher on the stays with a P2 fork, and this leads to toes clipping them a little in some circumstances
    -the screws can work their way undone. I lost parts on the road last winter (a little glue on the bolts can work wonders, use the silicone stuff on the nut and screw it in place)

Those were the negatives, the positives are:
    -they're dirt cheap
    -they weigh naff-all
    -they'll fit under normal caliper brakes where clearance is usually a problem.