nearly knocked off bike

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
i was nearly knocked off my bike today, as i was going across a junction, a car overtook me and turned off how i missed the side of the car ill never know, i only managed to get the first 4 letter and nos of the no plate

Comments

• sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Its getting really dark and dismal out there, I followed ( by car ) 5 cyclists today all wearing really dark clothing and having very poor lights.
    I like white bikes
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Yeah, I saw a guy today all in black on a black road bike about 6pm. No lights. Suicidal.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • i had rear light on and was in bright red and white and it was only 4.30pm
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

In my limited experience a lot of drivers do not expect a bike to be doing the speed that a road bike does, so he probably thought he could get past comfortably and then got a bit of a shock when he tried to.

Not really much you can do about it except make sure you are taking adequate possession of the road. Sitting in the gutter is inviting people to "nip past" whereas if you sit a bit further out you are both more visible and limit their ability to make dodgy passes. You also have more room to manoeuvre if they do try something stupid.

(but do tuck back in when it is safe for them to pass, nobody wants to be stuck doing 20mph for mile after mile in a car)
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Good point about the unexpected speed. Someone was saying a few weeks ago that they've been overtaken coming into a particular roundabout a few times and at least once the driver has then been unable to make it round and had to go straight over the grass island.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • I try and be as visible as possible. I have 2 rear lights on the bike, one on my helmet and one on my saddle bag. I also have 2 front lights, one on flash and a powerful light on constant. I also wear a high viz orange vest.
    I would rather look like a dork than get knocked off my bike. Oh, I also have reflective wrist and ankle bands to complete the ensemble.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Speed could of been an issue here, some drivers cannot judge that you may be doing 20mph and cut straight in on you. Sadly its a regular occurrence of riding on the roads
    I like white bikes
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Mr Will wrote:
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

Fine words tinged with a hollow ring. Sadly they matter little if you are a car drivers unfortunate victim either by malice or incompetence. In the heat of the moment, derogatory remarks and gestures towards any car driver at fault in a near miss, is more than excusable, IMHO.

Cars should expect bikes on the road these days - no excuse for not slowing down properly at junctions. Of course it is incumbent on cyclists to make themselves visible.
  • dmch2 wrote:
    Good point about the unexpected speed. Someone was saying a few weeks ago that they've been overtaken coming into a particular roundabout a few times and at least once the driver has then been unable to make it round and had to go straight over the grass island.

This is becoming all too common. I move out around 50 metres back now just to hold them off. Otherwise they inevitably overtake me as we reach the entrance to the roundabout.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    I've also had the problem of cars starting to overtake then deciding not too and sitting ring on your back wheel. You're then left wondering if they're going to try again and I don't dare move over to get into the right lane.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • SDF64
    SDF64 Posts: 34
    Sadly, being visible and riding far enough away from the kerb isn't always enough.

There are far too many motorists out there that either don't take any notice of cyclists, or worse still make a point of driving too close as if to teach us a lesson.

I myself have been lnocked off by cars twice in the last few years, the last one was quiet serious (almost considered giving it up).

I don't want to put anyone off getting out there but the sad reality is we are very vunerable to the idiots.

Ride safe.
  • i had rear light on and was in bright red and white and it was only 4.30pm
    wow lol it gets dark in southport at about 7: 30 now but 4:30!! where do u live lol??
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    While I'm hugely sympathetic to fellow cyclists (of course), I have to conclude that the bloke riding a recumbent cycle with no lights, dressed in dark clobber yesterday evening, was a candidate. :roll:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Got knocked off on Thursday cycling in a cycle lane at about 20mph by a car turning into a petrol station. He just didn't see me, luckily I saw what was going to happen at the last moment and took the impact on my side and backpack! Had flashing light reflectives etc.

Lay on the floor for a bit in the wet, driver was ashen and apologising. Took out both knees, hurt shoulder and hip, cut elbow; got some lovely multicoloured bruising!! Bike was fine! Scuffed saddle and hood cover only. Reported the accident. Was pretty shaken went to work and was all at sea for a bit,

Chap rang me that evening and I now have some new hood covers and a Selle Italia Thoork Team Edition on route to me via his wallet. I never even swore at the bloke just one of those things really and having ridden for eons was always lurking in the background. The roads are just so congested and everyone is in a 'rush' it really is like mad max out there.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you cycle on roads on a regular basis you are going to get knocked off, protection, lights and HV will help but eventually someone will get you.
    I've been knocked off my motorbike once and my pushbike 3 times, all but one in sunny conditions. In april, a car pulled out blind on to a roundabout and collected me, "i didn't see you" was the answer i expected and got, another bike was written off, clothing was damaged and even my shoes had the straps ripped off with the force of impact. The only positive was a new bike and clothing.
    I wonder what percentage of drivers involved in two wheel collisions ride bikes/motorbikes, i'd stake a pile of cash that it weighs on the side of those that don.t ride!
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    i'd stake a pile of cash that it weighs on the side of those that don.t ride!

I'd agree with that..not a car/truck approaching so they don't see it.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • gjw2309
    gjw2309 Posts: 33
    if you are knocked off who do you report it to? and if your bike is damaged is it claimed off of their insurance as long as it was there fault? this is only for future reference but hopefully will never have to use it :?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    gjw2309, If you do get knocked off(hopefully not)... First of all, always get the details of the driver, reg, make and model of car, address, phone numbers and probably the most important thing... witness details, get as many as you can because you'll need them.
    If you're injured, go to the doc's and get checked and take photos of any injuries.
    If you haven't got insurance get someone to represent you because the drivers insurance company will try to shaft you however nice you are to them but beware of who you get, there are alot of scumbag ambulance chasers out there.
    Take photos of all of the damage to your bike and clothing and get on the net, get the rrp of everything damaged, don't get the cheapest price you can find because you tend to get 15% knocked off your claim for general wear and tear, so the rrp price should take your claim back up to the price of replacement. If you have a carbon frame or components that have minor damage, they generally replace them because the damage might not be visable to the eye. Don't take the piss because they'll send an assessor round to check all of the damage.
    If you're anything like me, you'll find claiming uncomfortable because accidents happen, all i ever want is my bike repaired or replaced but insurance companies won't make it easy for you.
  • gjw2309
    gjw2309 Posts: 33
    thanks for tht, what do you mean by "If you haven't got insurance get someone to represent you"? im guessing its a lengthy process before u get your pride and joy up and running again
  • Just had a near miss cycling back from work - I live in the South Korean countryside and drivers here aren't careful at the best of times but today was my closest shave yet... Coming down a winding road in the middle of the lane at 40kmh (the same speed as the cars ahead of me), a BUS decides to try and overtake me on a blind corner, only to be faced with an oncoming car in the other lane... of course, he swerves back into his lane to avoid the car!! Some heavy brake action and some foul language (I'm sure it helped) managed to ensure I didn't hit the bus in front of me (missed it by a couple of feet at most), and some aggressive fist-shaking definitely made me feel much better afterwards. Not quite sure how I didn't end up on the side of the road to be honest. Anyway, my first real near-miss so thought I'd share....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    This comes up so often in Commuting (over there look --->) that it merits its own sticky.

Have a read of this. It's very useful, and better to know it up front - wondering what to do after the event when you're an untidy heap in the road isn't the best way.

What to do in case of an accident

Read, and ingest. :!: