Wessex Cycles (Bristol) - Handbuilt, anyone heard of them?

sporting wood
sporting wood Posts: 62
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
I was wondering if anyone has heard a guy who used to build bikes in Bristol from a small place in Bedminster, I've been told the frames are marked up as Wessex frames.

To cut a long story short, I've been after a steel tourer for a while and have been put on to this handbuilt steel bike, yet to see it but apparently it's marked as a Wessex bike and I've been told it was done by this guy in Bristol. I've heard of Argos bikes but the guy was clear it's a Wessex bike.

Google yields no results so I thought I'd try the forums!

Ta

Ed

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not 100% about this but I think the gas pipes might have been weilded by a guy called Gary Harris, he has a webby thing http://www.garysbikes.co.uk/ Might be worth giving him a call/email to see if he can shed some light on the frame. Other options might be Tom Avon but I think he put his own name on the frames as did Chas Bland.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks for the reply, I'll get in contact with Gary and see if he can help.
  • WESSEX CYCLES WERE BUILT BY STEVE WHITCHURCH IN BEDMINSTER BRISTOL. AFTER RIPPING CUSTOMERS OFF HE CHANGE THE NAME OF HIS BIKES FROM TOM AVONS TO WESSEX. AND HE STILL OWES ME MONEY. BUT I WILL FIND HIM ONE DAY....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    R.ALLWARD wrote:
    WESSEX CYCLES WERE BUILT BY STEVE WHITCHURCH IN BEDMINSTER BRISTOL. AFTER RIPPING CUSTOMERS OFF HE CHANGE THE NAME OF HIS BIKES FROM TOM AVONS TO WESSEX. AND HE STILL OWES ME MONEY. BUT I WILL FIND HIM ONE DAY....
    Issues anyone?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    R.ALLWARD wrote:
    WESSEX CYCLES WERE BUILT BY STEVE WHITCHURCH IN BEDMINSTER BRISTOL. AFTER RIPPING CUSTOMERS OFF HE CHANGE THE NAME OF HIS BIKES FROM TOM AVONS TO WESSEX. AND HE STILL OWES ME MONEY. BUT I WILL FIND HIM ONE DAY....
    Issues anyone?

Sticky Caps Lock Key :?:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    R.ALLWARD wrote:

Maybe he's on a busy building site, or noisy train station you know under a tannoy for example...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    There was a company who produced bikes back in the 80s by this name, probably not big sellers but I recall I was going to get one as they were well priced - this was back when loads of bike shops sold frames under their own names, and had a local in house builder - anyone remember Overbury's??? I may even have a photo somewhere

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SecretSam wrote:
    Anyone remember Overbury's???

From what I can gather, when Arthur built the frames they were much better than when his son Andrew was building the frames. But now it seems the shop has closed for good, each time I've passed the shop it's been closed and this has been at varying times of the day.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.