I need a job!

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
I live in Bath, and am looking for work. I've tried all kind of things, and am now asking you lovely people for your help.
I don't want to work evenings and weekends (I want to be riding then...). Please help...
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• It's hard to help without any idea of your past experience, what sort of thing you want to do etc. Not that I live in Bath or have any idea of employers there...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I don't want to work evenings and weekends (I want to be riding then...). Please help...

These days that can make a big difference to your employability. From experience I can say it's a lot easier to get a job if you've already got a job! Just look for something to keep you going for a while, anything. It looks a lot better to a potential employer if you're already working rather than 'saving' yourself, and when you say you'd rather be working for them you'll actually sound as if you mean it.

Many people (including myself) work alternate weekends and get days off during the week, so you could still have some nice midweek rides on your working weekend.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Future Publishing, who run this site, are located in Bath. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the full address.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Future Publishing, who run this site, are located in Bath. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the full address.

And they're advertising IT vacancies.....
    http://www.theitjobboard.co.uk/browse-c ... d5cc73ddde
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    What are you, a grad, school leaver, or been made redundant?
  • Its a hirers market at the mo and being picky won't get your foot in many doors.

we live in a 7 day & extended into the evenings society. none of us want to work evenings and weekends but many of us don't have a choice as it either comes with the type of job or it ibecomes an option to either start doing them or collect your p45 on your way out at 5pm on Friday.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hey - I need a job too. Was made redundant about a month ago.

20+ years as a graphic designer/creative director in the advertising/marketing business. Located near Manchester and willing to work weekends or freelance.

Unfortunately - in tough times - advertising is one of the biggest things companies cut back on. I probably wouldn't mind being unemployed so much if I wasn't recovering from an injury and could ride my bike while looking for a new job. :oops:
  • Sorry people. Don't have the internet at home so am stuck using library computers as and when I can. The timer cut out on me last time. :evil:

I'm 31, have a degree in biblical theology, a bus, car and motorbike licence. I have experience of many different jobs, from retail to admin stuff. I have managed shops. Worked on my own, worked in teams. I do learn very quickly.

I know that people are finding it difficult to find work at the moment, and that many companies are cutting back. I also know that inside information is the best way to find out about jobs. If anyone can help or if anyone wants to know more:

salsarider79@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you in advance.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to start by doing what my daughter did, go round town, ask in every (and I mean every) shop whether they have vacancies or not, also search the local internet job ad' sites, it took her a couple of months but she got a job in the end.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Have sent you an e-mail Salsa, hope it helps
  • Just1n: Thank you again. It's a pretty exhausting list, still, I'm working my way through as quick as I can.

To anyone else who happens to read this:

A driven and organised people person with good problem solving skills, committed to personal and professional excellence, I am motivated and enthusiastic. Capable of working in a team or on my own initiative, I am able to work to deadlines and work hard to ensure a job is completed correctly.
    Along side a 2:2 degree, I have a full driving licence and am capable of heavy manual lifting. I learn any new skills quickly, and will undergo any training necessary.
    My experience includes areas which have provided me with skills, which will be useful for this job. The jobs I have done have involved very important responsibilities.
    If you have any positions available, any questions or would like to schedule an interview, please contact me on either 07873279930, 07805045193 or at salsarider79@hotmail.co.uk
    Thank you for you time
    Nathan Brown
    jedster wrote:
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Sorry people. Don't have the internet at home so am stuck using library computers as and when I can. The timer cut out on me last time. :evil:

I'm 31, have a degree in biblical theology, a bus, car and motorbike licence. I have experience of many different jobs, from retail to admin stuff. I have managed shops. Worked on my own, worked in teams. I do learn very quickly.

Are there not any vacancies for vicars?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    At the risk of sounding negative, your description is far too vague. You make bold claims about having skills to suit any role, but don't give any specifics. Vague CV-speak is will be obvious to potential employers, so you need to point out why they should employ YOU - what is your USP?

Have you spoken to any employment agencies?

Do you have any idea what you WANT to do, or will you really do anything? If so, most agencies will have temp work which could tide you over whilst looking for the job you really want.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Monkeypump wrote:
    At the risk of sounding negative, your description is far too vague. You make bold claims about having skills to suit any role, but don't give any specifics. Vague CV-speak is will be obvious to potential employers, so you need to point out why they should employ YOU - what is your USP?

Have you spoken to any employment agencies?

Do you have any idea what you WANT to do, or will you really do anything? If so, most agencies will have temp work which could tide you over whilst looking for the job you really want.

I was thinking the same. I work in a headhunting company and get tired of all the bumpf and generalist rubbish people put in their CVs. Get rid of

"A driven and organised people person with good problem solving skills, committed to personal and professional excellence, I am motivated and enthusiastic. Capable of working in a team or on my own initiative, I am able to work to deadlines and work hard to ensure a job is completed correctly. "

Unless you can back it up with specific examples, otherwise it's meaningless CV babble... Try to think of things that put YOU in demand....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Unless you can back it up with specific examples, otherwise it's meaningless CV babble... Try to think of things that put YOU in demand....

I work in architecture and in reply I'd say that quite a lot of adverts for positions do exactly that, demanding someone who is so wonderful, talented and amazing you wonder why it is they need a job, surely they have their own successful company by now?

But to get my current job I did exactly what you are suggesting, I tailored my CV to the job and what was wanted. It did take a while to get it, but having been selected from a shortlist of 20 out of 320 applicants, I'm still there when others have been told their contract was finishing.

I think the guy who started at the same time I did, did bring on himself though. Sending 70 personal emails in a day when email is monitored is a bit stupid, especially when working on contract and paid by the hour!

On the other hand at least I could do what it was I said I could, important as the firm I work for has a "try before you buy" approach of giving people a short term contract (6-8 weeks) that may be ongoing if the work is there AND they have proven up to it.

We had someone, qualified RIBA Architect and all, finish last week. She apparently wasn't capable of a lot of things that were on her CV as what she had done and could do....when I finish work on the project I'm currently on its been strongly hinted by the managing partner that I'll be taking on what she couldn't do. Am I qualified as she was? No, just experienced and capable (I tell myself).

So look at jobs and then target your CV and application to the job, and sell yourself as their ideal candidate with all the skills they want, but don't lie if there is a chance of being caught out. More than one place I have worked at has had people do that and when they are giving references they always make it clear that their former staff weren't capable of what they were asked, which makes it much harder when they need another job.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Apologies if that is "sucking eggs" and absolutely no help, by the way.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....