How much time do you normally spend out on a ride

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hey,

I've been looking through some routes in the peak district and there's a few over six hours. Man I'd be knackered if I was riding continuously for that long!

I was wondering what the average time people on here spend on a biking session.

I'd say I'd normally spend 2 hours with about 4 hours max on average.

Are you one of the people who do killer loops type rides or do your prefer a quick fun filled blast round your local trails?

In fact I'm going to make a poll and see!

Comments

• Normally about 8 hours :shock: the route is 50km long and we do it every sunday. Mostly off road too, some pretty good trails that could rival a trail centre i reckon, just they arent as long descent time wise.
  • Don't see the point in getting muddy for less than three hours riding.
  • usually 2.5-3 hours and did a route aroudn jacobs ladder that lasted 5 and a bit hours and found it brutal as it was my first one and all i took was a 2l camelbak and a kitkat chunky for energy :oops: I reckon i'd feel less beat up if i had some proper food with me!
  • I reckon i'd feel less beat up if i had some proper food with me!
    A good days riding is the perfect excuse to load up on 5000 calories! Cue 2 jam sandwiches, 2 bags of crisps, 5 mars bars, a large block of dairy milk and at least three bottles of lucozade, and of course a 3l camelback of isotonic water!
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    just depends on terrain,a 15 mile route can turn into a epic 4-5 hours,or a 25 mile route can be done in 3-4 hours,normally try to do ride in 4-5 hours,thats including stopping for something to eat and taking a few pictures.
  • Just over 2 hours with a killer climb and a techie DH for my local loop.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably between 3 and 5 hours, but a fair amount of that is spent nattering and resting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry - did the survey before I realised it was for MTB's. Ignore one of the 3-5 hours. :oops:
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    I manage to get out most days for about 2 hours, occasionally I'll do 4 at weekends, but 2 is all I can get in in the evenings at the moment. Bennett's excuse sounds pretty good! :)
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We ride at least once a week for about 2.5 / 3 hours - longer rides are nice if we can squeeze them in!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    depends,

In the week after work 1-2 hours, weekend 3-5 hours.

But this is really that representative, as Cwm for me is an hour, for alot of people it's an hour thirty, would a range be more accurate?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    depends, if i go for a flat out local ride ill do our 20ish mile loop in around 1 hour 40 quite comfortably, usually im nattering though, so its closer to 2.5-30 hours :lol:

one thing i really want to do is the mbr killer loop at cutgate in under 4 hours, reckon its pretty easy really, although ill remember not to head face first into a rock garden at 30mph this time :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    usually more than 3 hours...

we do some silly routes in the heilans though.....

Done many 10 and 12 hours rides....

we are currently planning a West Highland Way in a single day run.......

probably north to south.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Depends

Occasional weekdays after work 1 hour blast at Haldon (local trail centre) or short local loop

Weekends local loop 2hrs maybe a little more if I have the time

Every now and then an epic over Exmoor or Somewhere further away.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    lawman wrote:
    one thing i really want to do is the mbr killer loop at cutgate in under 4 hours, reckon its pretty easy really, although ill remember not to head face first into a rock garden at 30mph this time :lol:

Just don't try it in the wet, trust me! it's Ok coming down from Lansett but getting back up was a nightmare in all the mud (worth it for the final descent though). I did it in about 6 hours with a lunch stop.

I like to take my time over natural trails though and take in the scenery/stop for photos. At trail centres I prefer to just blast round as fast as possible.
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    We ride for up to 12 hours in the peak district in the Summer, just go for it. Ride a bit slower, eat and drink lots, don't plan to do anything in the evening.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    depends. speed / training loops up to 1.5 hours. full half day rides. all day touring type rides.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    normally just a couple of hours,

i dont like to cut too far in to my sitting on the sofa time at the weekend which is when i tend to ride.

i dont ride mid week normally as i dont like to cut into my sitting on the sofa time.
  • If I had the ammount of ground that would last me 3 hours or more I proberbly would, as it happens I only go for about 2 hours max unless I made a special trip somewhere!!
  • ma9mwah
    ma9mwah Posts: 53
    rides during the week are probably 2 hours, at the weekend looking at 5-6hours