Contador Tests Postitive

jamesco
jamesco Posts: 687
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
...for 'clenbuterol' in the TdF. Only provisional, but can't be good news for him:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/se ... itive-test

Comments

• Yeah, I heard that on Radio 1's news this morning! Cycling coverage on Radio !? Never!
  • Yeah, I heard that on Radio 1's news this morning! Cycling coverage on Radio !? Never!

Radio 1?

Err, shurely shome mishtake?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Greg66 wrote:
    Yeah, I heard that on Radio 1's news this morning! Cycling coverage on Radio !? Never!

Radio 1?

cycling on R1?

or Lit listening to R1?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just last night I was grumbling about the lack of any mention of Emma Pooley's win on the 5 Live sports news (especially when they kept mentioning some dancing horse, I mean "dressage", silver medal winner). BBC have excelled themeselves this morning though.... :roll:

As for Contador, could somebody please find a link to Nelson out of the Simpsons - ha ha!
  • If he gets away with it, cue dozens of athletes 'accidently' eating contaminated food!
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • PBo wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Yeah, I heard that on Radio 1's news this morning! Cycling coverage on Radio !? Never!

Radio 1?

cycling on R1?

or Lit listening to R1?

Probably both. I listen to R1 every morning. I like it, and yah boo shucks to all of you. In the evening, OTOH, I listen to R4...
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    stickman wrote:
    If he gets away with it, cue dozens of athletes 'accidently' eating contaminated food!

Armstrong wouldn't have
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • A statement from cycling's governing body, the International Cycling Union, issued this morning said that the concentration of clenbuterol found in Contador's urine was 50 picograms, 400 times less than the threshold required by a World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory,

So what am I missing?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • A statement from cycling's governing body, the International Cycling Union, issued this morning said that the concentration of clenbuterol found in Contador's urine was 50 picograms, 400 times less than the threshold required by a World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory,

So what am I missing?

From the Beeb
    However, the UCI said the concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms - 400 times less than anti-doping laboratories accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) must be able to detect.

It's a testing threshold that the lab has to meet to gain accreditation, as I read it. It has nothing to do with the level of drug that is required for the test to be positive.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    In short, Contador will argue that his steak the night before was contaminated. Seems a bit dubious, along the lines of Floyd's "two beers and a few whiskies" defence.

More likely (IMO) is that he had a transfusion on rest day and when the blood was taken earlier in the season (or in pre-season) the drugs hadn't quite cleared his system. Astana have previous for bodged transfusions (see Vino, circa 2007).

Either way, I believe its strict liability so he should lose the Tour win and get at least a one year ban. Ha ha!
  • Theres a live press conference now on the BBC website
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    A few questions need answering.
    how much does that drug, at that quantity, improve performance?
    did he test positive on any other days?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gaz545 wrote:
    You'd probably need to ask a doper or preparatore the first question. My gut feeling is that there would be mininal performance or recovery benefit at that dose, but what do I know?

He also was positive on the subsequent day (at a lower level) but not on the preceding days:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5837/ ... ation.aspx
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BikesnobNYC "dropped" an "epic" blogpost on this: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... nency.html
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    gaz545 wrote:

No benefit of the drug at that level. Only makes sense if it was part of a larger dose that was in his system when blood was taken out (earlier in the year) and reinfused during the rest day.

Tested positive on the following day also.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Pokerface wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

No benefit of the drug at that level. Only makes sense if it was part of a larger dose that was in his system when blood was taken out (earlier in the year) and reinfused during the rest day.

Tested positive on the following day also.

Homeopathic doping regime?
  • According to this, Contador is now saying that the testing standards have to be changed.

So that positive tests aren't classified as positive any more.

Hmm.

Now, whatever the rights and wrongs of his position are, he needs to sack his present advisers, right now. Because pleas like that really don't do his cause any favours at all.

(FWIW. my (limited) understanding is that for certain drugs, there is a de minimis limit at which a finding of the drug will not be treated as a positive result. Clenbuterol isn't one of those drugs though).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    JonGinge wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    You'd probably need to ask a doper or preparatore the first question. My gut feeling is that there would be mininal performance or recovery benefit at that dose, but what do I know?

He also was positive on the subsequent day (at a lower level) but not on the preceding days:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5837/ ... ation.aspx

Busted ....! i've long suspected there's more to your errr avg performance :roll:

See you tomorrow BTW I've prepared something nasty or have I ...?

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.