Bike4work scheme advice upto £1k

sn:afu
sn:afu Posts: 2
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
As the title suggests I have been invited to join the bike for work scheme and have to upto £1k to spend.

I am after a trail/freeride/dh (if possible) bike.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to order individual components and build my own bike otherwise I'd look to kit this frame up that I've got in my room (think its an Orange Patriot):

P1020982.jpg

However, do I look for a good all round hardtail and maybe swap the parts over or keep it as it is or do I look for a cheaper full sus?

It's been such a long time since I was into bikes so any suggestions on what to go for would be much appreciated.....

Also does anyone who has participated in a scheme like this before know if any online retailers are eligible and if so which ones?

Thanks for your suggestions 8)

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Can't help you on the DH stuff, but in my experience you have to go in to the shop so that they can verify your id etc.

Not very convenient for you, but I drove to PedalOn to pick up my bike.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If you are not a 40% tax payer, the final payment could make the bike more expensive than if you went out and bought it on 12 months interest free.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker.... you seem to understand the C2W scheme. Q

The amount you save is dependant on your tax band.. so if i'm taxed 20%. I would deduct 20% of the cost of the bike?... But at 20% the final repayment could bump up the overall price i pay and i could pay more than the original outright price? the guys at my work haven't made me aware of this so could it be dependant on your employer?
    Boardman comp mtb: 75mm gravity stem, fsa 34t single chainring e-13 chain device & bashguard.