Gripshift gears.

Fifenewbie
Fifenewbie Posts: 44
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
What are your views on Gripshift gears vs the under bar gears? generally, I think the Gripshift gears are fitted to lower spec bikes - reason i ask is because I had a shot of my bro in laws bike today which has the Gripshift and my forearms are pretty sore now, didnt get on with them atall - thanks for any views.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I always really liked X.0 Grip Shift for racing, you can easily shift a big handful of gears in one go, you can 'trim' the front mech so it never rubs, they're light, cheap, and very tolerant of gritty cables.

Sadly as SRAM aren't doing 10 speed Grip Shift I've been on triggers this season, and got on with them fine, get a lot more accidental shifts though, and cables need replacing more.

Personal choice at the end of the day!
  • I had Gripshifts on my old crappy bike and then bought a new one with indexed gears and I won't go back

BUT

I had sh*tty grip shifts, my mate runs Sram X0 or X9 or whatever they are on his Genesis and he swears by them, so there are good ones out there.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v got a pair of XT grips on my old GT I'v had since the 90's. Still running smooth and shift better then any other gears I have used and running new full X9 on my new built bike.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    njee20 wrote:
    I always really liked X.0 Grip Shift . . . you can easily shift a big handful of gears in one go, you can 'trim' the front mech so it never rubs, they're light, cheap, and very tolerant of gritty cables.

I also use X.0 and agree with njee20 - they work really well and I can see no benefit in going back to triggers. They also have carbon fibre casing and teflon coated cables. The only nit is that shifting up the rear mech makes a fairly loud 'clack' at each index, but its not too bad and you get used to it after a while.
    I had SRAM X.5 triggers before (didn't like them much, particularly the front mech shifting) and have Shimano Deores on my spare bike. The Deores are okay but I still far prefer the Gripshifts.

A lot of people seem to have been put off gripshifts by the rubbish ones supplied on cheap bikes, but the SRAM X.0 are in a completely different league.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Delta5
    did you know the X0-X9-X7 grip shifts all weigh the same.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Love my X0 grips.. especially for crosscountry blasts.. just grab a handful of gears and go!

And if you're thinking of getting some, Merlin still have the X0 pairs for less than £50..
  • I use the X0 grip shifts speciallylike the font one for trimming, and makes the bars look more tidy, got mine at Merlin also.
  • Thanks folks, didnt realise the Gripshifts were fitted to higher end bikes aswell, my bro in laws bike is an "Apollo" :oops: , and hes trying to make me buy one aswell - full suspension and weighs a tonne, no chance :roll:
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    nicklouse wrote:
    Delta5
    did you know the X0-X9-X7 grip shifts all weigh the same.

:wink:

No I didn't, tbh when I bought mine I didn't even look at the other two!
    But thats quite funny - SRAM's website says of the X.0:
    The lightest shifter available. If you look for precision and speed at minimum weight, like a professional cross country racer, the intuitive X.0 twister feel is your best choice. Ride light, shift fast, and go for the gold.

then quotes exactly the same weight (195g / pair) for the x.9 and x.7 :)

Fifenewbie
    I don't know of any high-end bikes that are fitted with them as standard - maybe someone else knows? I think mostly they are fitted as an upgrade - in my case to a nice but definitely not high end bike :wink: (07 Fury)
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.