Suss Bearing Removal

1mancity2
1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tool for removing my pivot bearings, think its called a drift but no joy finding one.

Cheers in Advance

Ali
Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a drift is just a bit of metal that is rod shaped.

more info would be good. IE which bush/bearing and on what make model and year of bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 1mancity2
    Trance 2006, basically all the suspension bearings, can you buy a set of drifts?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited October 2010
    Probably better to buy than steal. Ebay or a hardware shop. Check what sizes you need first.
    As Nick said - a drift is just a metal rod, normally knurled on one end to make it easier to hold, but any steel rod of roughly the right diameter will work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    Ok Thanks for the info guys.
  • I think a lot of the Giant "bearings" are really plastic bushes. Anyway, depending on exactly what I am doing I find there is usually a socket in my tool set which is the right size for drifting out bearings.

Keith.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    before using a drift, I would get a frame schematic to check that there are no flanges in the frame to seat the bearings, that you will destroy by drifting the bearing out.

I would always see if you can knock up a bolt vice press for removal.. you'll need one anyway to get the replacement bearings in straight.

See example this was for bush removal, but the concept is the same:

5040882435_abf969db1f.jpg
  • diy wrote:
    before using a drift, I would get a frame schematic to check that there are no flanges in the frame to seat the bearings, that you will destroy by drifting the bearing out.

Good point. My Specialized has some pairs of bearings with a frame flange between them which makes getting the old bearing out quite tricky (without destroying it).

Keith.