adjusting gear cables - sora

sadexpunk
sadexpunk Posts: 58
edited October 2010 in Workshop
bought some sora STI's from the ads. am using 105 front mech, and ultegra rear. got em set up well enough for now, but realised that if i need to slightly adjust them, theres no barrel adjusters anywhere in the set up.

is this an oversight? or am i just sposed to undo cable and tighten crimping bolt every time?

are there little adjusters that i should have bought and put them inline somewhere?

cheers

Comments

• There should be one on the mechs...
    left the forum March 2023
  • sorry, theres one on the rear mech. not on the front. i know mtb's have adjusters built ino the shifters. is this not the case with roadie STIs?
  • That's correct...

You won't need one at the front, tiny regulations are unnecessary for the front D. Normally road bikes have these screws fitted on the frame, where the old shifters use to be. If you don't have them, you can buy them and fit them no probs... but in my view it's not necessary. Just use the one on your rear derailleur
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've got Sora STIs and there are barrel adjusters for front and rear mounted underneath the downtube on the braze on that's also the guide for the cables. I don't ever actually use the things. There's no trimming that I've not been able to do with proper cable tension and use of the limit screws and the barrel adjuster on the rear mech.

You can see where they are located on the photo linked to below (roadmobile)
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact
  • hmmm are those adjusters 'frame specific' then? my jake the snake hasnt got any under the bb shell. just the little guides for the cables.

still, if theyre not necessary on the front, then i spose i neednt worry :-) altho have you got a link to one so i can see what you mean? cant really imagine how they fit on a frame.

thanks
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    There's no trimming that I've not been able to do with proper cable tension and use of the limit screws and the barrel adjuster on the rear mech.

Duuuuuuur. No-one actually needs barrel adjusters, they just make life a whole lot easier. When your indexing gets sloppy mid-ride you could just get off and re tension the cable correctly at the pinch bolt.

Personally I cannot easily (ie without a fourth hand style tool) set cable tension correctly so that the barrel adjusters are superfluous.

OP, if you feel the need for barrel adjusters you can fit in-line ones, these can be positioned in any length of outer although it is nice to have them fairly close to the sti so you can tweak it whilst riding (easier than a workstand sometimes!)