Any Thoughts After My eBay Purchase

weekendwonder
weekendwonder Posts: 68
edited October 2010 in MTB general
:D

Comments

• Ask for 20% refund and you will keep the bike.

I imagine he wont be bothered with hassle of receiving item back and listing again then posting to new buyer.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • should you not have thought about this before opening a dispute and following it through? you made your decision so live with it and send the bike back..
  • As soon as you opened the case money is removed from the sellers papal account (I'm not a dodgy ebayer by the way, royal mail have let me down and the buyer has resorted to opening a case rather than emailing me) anyway, it means he might he might be open to offers to get his money back.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • But why didn't you check the bike before you handed the money over?
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    wordnumb wrote:
    But why didn't you check the bike before you handed the money over?

Exactly! Although the item may have been described wrong (which in its self is out of order), surely as they buyer you have a responsibility to check the bike when your pick it up!

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for the bike
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • weekendwonder
    weekendwonder Posts: 68
    edited October 2010
    :D
  • Give him it back - next time check what you are buying. It should have been obvious from the pictures that the spec was different i.e different crank and also when you picked it up you should have checked it matched the description.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Marlow
    Marlow Posts: 31
    Hmmm - difficult one but for what it's worth:
    This could possibly be a genuine mistake on the part of the seller, not everyone is as knowledgeable about bikes (no excuse for not responding to your emails tho') and even you didn't notice any discrepencies upon collection. As you collected the bike personally and it didn't just arrive on your doorstep, surely the onus for validation falls to you and the old phrase 'sold as seen' comes into play. He didn't force you to hand over the cash, you could have refused it on the grounds of misrepresentation and raised the issue with ebay at that point.
    As I say - difficult one, 2 sides to every story.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    WeW, in your position I would get my money back. If the seller deliberately ignores your emails it suggests that the bike was knowingly mis-sold, it also means negotiating a partial refund won't likely happen. If you can't trust the seller, you can't trust that the bike hasn't been crashed or badly assembled. If there is a further problem with the bike you'll have difficulty resolving things with a person who won't acknowledge the difference between Deore and SLX.

But it all comes down to how much you like the bike and what it's worth to you.
  • Wise words folks, thanks for all your input.

:)
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    wordnumb wrote:
    But why didn't you check the bike before you handed the money over?

The fact the bike was collected in person would make it sold as seen I would have thought. Ebay almost always side with the buyer regardless.

Did you pay cash or paypal? As a seller I never allow a buyer to collect if they pay via Paypal as there is no protection against them claiming they haven't received the goods.

If you paid cash don't send the bike back, take it round in person.
  • neninja
    It looks like he's copied and pasted the spec list from somewhere but this bike is a 2008 bike which had a different spec to the 2009 spec he's copied.

The 2008 Cube Ltd Race had Deore chainset and LX shifters. Sorry it's in German.

Frame: Alu Superlite 7005 double butted, RFR-Geometry
    Voorvork: Rock Shox Reba SL, 85mm veerweg, Motion Control, POPLOC
    Balhoofdset: Ritchey Logic semi integrated
    Stuurpen: Easton EA30 Oversized
    Stuur: Easton EA30 Lowriser Oversized
    Grips: Cube double durometer
    Derailleur achter: Shimano XT RD-M772 SHADOW
    Derailleur voor: Shimano LX FD-M580, Top Swing, 34.9mm
    Shifters: Shimano LX SL-M580 Rapidfire-Plus, 9-speed
    Remmen: Formula ORO K18 hydraulische schijfremmen (180/160mm)
    Crankset: Shimano FC-M532, 44x32x22T, 175mm
    Bracket: Shimano FC-M532 bracket cups
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG50, 11-32T, 9-speed
    Ketting: Shimano CN-HG53
    Velgen: Alex EN24
    Naaf voor: Shimano XT Disc HB-M756
    Naaf achter: Shimano XT Disc FH-M756
    Spaken: DT Swiss Champion 2.0
    Band voor: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Triple compound 26x2.25
    Band achter: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Triple compund 26x2.25
    Binnenbanden: Schwalbe AV13-40/57-559
    Velglinten: Schwalbe 22-559
    Pedalen: Shimano XT PD-M770
  • why don't you pull the sellers contact details and phone him.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ebayadvsearch/__ ... eZ9?_rdc=1
  • If you wanted the Team and got the Race then send it back...if you just want the bike then why raise a dispute - either way £470 for Race or Team is a good buy...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    DickBarton wrote:
    If you wanted the Team and got the Race then send it back...if you just want the bike then why raise a dispute - either way £470 for Race or Team is a good buy...

Exactly mate.

PErsonally i'd keep the bike and forget about it. It's not like you've bought a piece of rubbish for double the value.
  • If the seller didn't know what model it was, then It could be a stolen bike.
  • neninja
    Maybe but I've got mates who've bought bikes and don't have a clue about specs or the difference between SLX, Deore, XT etc etc.

They just ride it and take it to the LBS if something stops working properly.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Did the seller list the full, actual spec? Did the bike have the spec HE listed? If no, you hve a case.
  • Weekendwonder has already filed a SNAD with ebay...I think he posted because even though he may get a refund through ebay, he is unsure whether the bike he actually got is worth keeping at the price he paid for it.
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    I don't think the mix up is Race v. Team I think the mix up is Race 2009 v. Race 2010. Sounds like the seller used the 2009 specs to describe a 2010 bike.

What forks does it have? Reba = Race, Recon = Team (at least for 2010).