Conti 4000s tyres what's the big deal? Other recommendations

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Tyre choice has been intriguing me lately.

I've tried continental ultra race tyres before which seemed ok, good on the straight but made me a little nervous leaning in on corners. Then the side wall of one got a big fat rip in so I lost all faith. No response from conti customer service!

Then I tried Vredstein Fiammante which seem better, a little softer, maybe a little more rolling resistance but definitely more confidence when cornering.

Been looking around for another set of tyres and conti 4000s seem to be the most popular around. What if any difference are these from the ultra race I've already tried and what makes them so popular?

I want a good fast tyre that corners well and isn't race specific so it will last a few thou miles and not puncture every few rides.

Any recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Schwalbe Durano's.

Schwalbe's have superb, confidence inspiring grip and roll very well
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Michelin pro 3

Ok they may not last as long as some other makes, yes they are race specific but boy do they roll well and stick on corners.

Whatever tyre you choose, they are the contact point with the road, saving a few quid could cost you dearly, if its not down to money I woud go for the pro 3 everytime.

Conti 4000 are as good as the pro 3 but wont last any longer, sorry I cant comment on the ultra race, have a look at the continetal website, it has a comparison chart.

atb

TS
  • petemadoc
    Not looking to save any money on tyres as they seem to make more difference £ for £ as wheels. Also not too worried about wear but don't want repeat punctures hence the mention of not wanting a light 'race specific' tyre.

Anyone got experience of the Vredestein Fortezza TriComp
  • I use Conti' GP4000 and no problems so far. A few Sportives and lots of runs along some real shitty (grit, clippings & pot holes) back lanes of Devon & Cornwall as well as some pretty horrible roads on my commute to Plymouth. As well as being reasonably light they roll well, not too expensive and so far, tough as old boots.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    The Continental Ultra Race is "just" a tyre, whereas the GP4000S (emphasis upon the S) is a high-end race tyre: different construction and most importantly, different compound. And jolly good with it.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    The GP4000S ia just such a great all round tyre, sure it may be at the "racier" end of the spectrum, but its good enough to be used for everything.

My GP4000S's get used for Crits, sportives, time trials, commutes, training, and it handles all of it.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I don't like the look of them but can't fault their performance, hence I've used them for the past three or four seasons - moving to the 4000s when that was released. Have used many of the others including Michelin ProRace. The Contis perform just as well, IMO, and last longer. I use them through the winter as well as I can't be bothered swapping out tyres. No probs whatsoever and good p**cture resistance. The only tyre I really prefer is the Vittoria Open Corsa 320 tpi but I use that as a race-only tyre.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    As I always suggest on tyre threads - Vrederstein Fortezza Tricomps or, if you prefer additional side wall puncture resistance Fortezza Tricomp Quattros.

Fast, pretty long lasting for a race tyre, puncture resistant (I've done thousdands of miles and NEVER punctured on them).

Also, can often pick them up for about £20 ea from Ribble.
  • petemadoc
    As I always suggest on tyre threads - Vrederstein Fortezza Tricomps or, if you prefer additional side wall puncture resistance Fortezza Tricomp Quattros.

Fast, pretty long lasting for a race tyre, puncture resistant (I've done thousdands of miles and NEVER punctured on them).

Also, can often pick them up for about £20 ea from Ribble.

Woohoo, you just saved me nearly £20 off Wiggles price! I'm gonna give these a go since I like the others so much :D
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    No problem with Victoria Rubino, and pretty cheap too.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)