Campaign for a quality single track trails in London Parks

gregk
gregk Posts: 17
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I am really fed up with the anti-MTB attitude in Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common. They are littered with 'no cycling' signs and ridiculous pedestrian priority and 10mph speed limits. These are parks and commons for the people and Mountain bikers deserve to be allowed to enjoy them - its the new 'tragedy of the commons'. The anti-MTB policy is defended on the grounds on the needing to protect delicate wildlife but a bike tire cruising past is certainly less damaging than walkers with their dogs. There is so much space in these parks and a quality single track trail of about 20mins duration could easily be created in a small area. It would be great to see a few 'Caution - Cycle Track' signs for a change.
Does anyone know if there has been any attempt to get MTB trails set-up? Does anyone have an experience or knowledge of how we might go about getting this to happen?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Try elsewhere?

Nobody seemed to give a t0ss when I belted round the dirt path round the edge of Dulwich Park (and you'd think they'd be a bit snotty about that sort of thing). Only trouble was it took about 5 minutes to do a lap :(

My local Park in Beckenham is even better and even the golfers don't complain when you cut across the fairway to get from one section of the woods to another :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • F@RRR
    F@RRR Posts: 62
    write a letter to Boris :wink:
    blk-weight.png
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There are no mountains in either of those parks. But the Surrey Hills are less than half an hour away. Plenty of space.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps even where bikes are permitted, pedestrians (and Wombles) get priority.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • got swinley and Surrey hills both worth a punt, the parks are already busy places, if one made a proper trail how are you going to stop dog walkers etc?

The parks are fine for a potter I roll round on my Roadie some days but for serious fun I head out of town.

Esher woods are okay though rather tame.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Campaign for chair lifts up the Himalayas.
    Campaign for a golf course on Mars.
    Campaign for healthy junk food.
    Campaign for everybody to be quiet unless I throw a party.
    Campaign for libraries to supply somebody to read the book for me and just tell me the best bits with out the waffle.