Reba's Or Rev's ?

Glynnd111
Glynnd111 Posts: 169
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
With my birthday coming soon I've been looking getting some new forks to replace my ageing marz mx pro Lo

I've been looking at some rockshox revelation air uturn that are priced at around 435 for the standard 9mm dropout.

I ride a Cove Handjob witch has a max travel of 130mm or 510mm axle to crown so I would wind the revs down to 130.

Now here's the kicker I've just seen the new 2011 reba rlt's and at 120 mm they are they same as my mx pro's and as the toughest thing I ride is the monkey trail I've never thought I realy need more travel but the revs do offer future upgrade possibilities should my frame fail

So I Carnt decide am I wasting money on travel I may never use

Cheers

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited September 2010
    Got some Rev Races and they are technically ace but noticeably twangy compared to some of the heavier/burlier/less expensive RS forks.

They soak up the Monkey like it's not there but if you are big/heavy/clumsy I would think twice about getting the standard QR version.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You can get a Sektor with U-turn and Maxle for £260 and have money left over for a new wheel. Then you're pretty much future-proofed if you change to a different frame in future that can take more travel (or less I suppose). Otherwise I'd stick with the Rev. but think about a Maxle axle.
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm a big hefty fella so coil forks are out as I've tried some recons with a super stiff spring and there still way to soft but also I am running a hope pro 2 front hub so maxle is an option
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    if your big enough to blow through a super stiff spring.... maxle is the only way..... and id go for Sektor's or rev's.....

if you went sektor's your even have enough cash to be well on your way to a frame that can make the most of the fork....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The sektor at 150 mm will be over kill for my frame max travel is only 130mm
  • But its coil isn't it ?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    edited September 2010
    Nope, it comes in pretty much every variation of spring/axle/steerer that RS do.

EDIT: that doesn't mean to say it's available in the UK/europe though. Thinking about it, I've only heard it mentioned in the US.

Double Edit :shock: I seem to be wrong. Looks like I misread the SRAM website. Sorry.
  • Ok my bad so a air uturn sektor exists ? If so it does sound perfect any ideas where I might find one Crc only offer coil or single are non uturn
  • I've got some BNIB 2010 revelations team u-turn air with maxle for £500 in the classifieds

Pm me for more details.
  • I would (and did!) stump up the extra and get the Rev Team maxle u-turns.

Say nice things to ride_whenever and get them bought!
  • Think I will stump up as you put it lol but can someone explain the benefits of maxle over standard 9mm in real world terms
  • joshtp
    Glynnd111 wrote:
    Think I will stump up as you put it lol but can someone explain the benefits of maxle over standard 9mm in real world terms
    stiffer, much stiffer actually. Stronger. More secure. faster (sometimes) and hardly any weight dif. Oh, and more peace of mind... that your front wheel is heald in place by a whoping great lump of metal, rather than a little stick of steel
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the maxle my bike is my commuter for the workday week and maybe only realy get to thrash it every other weekend.
    Are people thinking that this is the way its going and maxle may become the standard before to long if so I guess its a worthy investment or is it more for the hardcore riders ?
  • Tbh, ive got some 2010 rev races 9mm qr and some team/maxle revs, 99 percent of the time i honestly cant tell the difference, had the maxle come loose a couple of times quite randomly...
  • Thanks beanieripper thats the kind of response im after real world opinions im thinking that as my bike although built for hardcore stuff my talent wont let me ride like that lol so im guessing that im never gonna ride hard and fast enough to feel the benifits of a maxle so looks like the good ol 9mm

Thanks for all the advice guys
  • joshtp
    Glynnd111 wrote:
    Thanks beanieripper thats the kind of response im after real world opinions im thinking that as my bike although built for hardcore stuff my talent wont let me ride like that lol so im guessing that im never gonna ride hard and fast enough to feel the benifits of a maxle so looks like the good ol 9mm

Thanks for all the advice guys

I wouldnt be so sure.... i can tell the diference very well, and im only 9.8st, more than anything its more secure, and much stronger. Its also near enuf standard nowadays
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sektor is not worth it really (unless you want coil) as the Rev RLT is lighter, better damped and cheaper

Reba RLT not really worth it either as the Rev is 20g heavier and can be reduced to 120mm travel anyway.

Rev RLT would be my choice, or if want maxle, last years Team or Race.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    more secure, and much stronger

Do you think a qr version would have come loose or broke?
  • Glynnd111
    Glynnd111 Posts: 169
    Question is do I buy them now or wait till nearer Christmas when they might be cheaper

The cheapest I've found is on Crc at 435 for the qr uturn but if anyone knows anywhere else that's cheaper ?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The Maxle becomes a structural part of the forks, making the whole unit feel more solid. I like the feel of the front end with a Maxle.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro