24h dt 4.2d rims with 100kg rider??????

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
what are the chances of a set of 24h dt swiss 4.2d rims holding up with xc/trail center riding (cannock monkey trail) with a rider weighing 100kg?

im not hard on rims but can be a bit aggresive.

seen a few of these bent so is best going for somthing like a mavic xm?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd say not worth it, I'm also over 100Kg and will do pretty much anything to save a bit of weight, but I came to the conclusion 24 holes just isn't enough for a MTB.

I went for a set of Stan's Arch with 36 holes on Hope Pro2.

Also, as there are less spokes, if you do break one the wheel will go further out of true than if you snap a spoke on a 36 holes set up.
  • richg1979
    ok so any recomendations for a lightish xc/trail wheelset for my ht? budget of £200.

also been looking at the slx mt65s that merlin has on offer for £185, anyone running these?
  • Yep, been running my MT65s for almost a year and I am 91kgs.
    They were the best compromise between weight/strenght/price (I paid £150 as part of a brakes+wheel deal from Merlin but would happily pay £200 for them).
    They have been absolutely faultless despite harsh treatment and loads of mud.
    Bearings perfectly smooth still and no damage/bent spokes as yet.
    Mine are 1800g w/o skewers. I was concerned about maintenance compared to cartridge bearings but my LBS does a complete hub service and truing for £20/wheel, not that it seems it needs it yet.

You will get loads of post telling you it's illegal NOT to buy Hope hoops because they're British and far superior and half the price and a third of the weight. :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm not a fan of shimano hubs after my housemate managed to destroy an xt freehub with his excessive manliness. Also servicing c&c hubs is an unnecessary burden in life. Finally I'd never buy a wheelset that didn't have spokes that are readily available (the exception to this is my white inbred which has sapim cx-rays, but they'll never snap so it's okay).

Hence hope hoops
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I had a set of SLX hubs built into a set of mavic EN521 rims by merlin and they/ve been fantastic wheels, not the lightest but far from the heaviest either and they're supremely strong and can take a shed load of punishment and just shrug it off.

I paid just under £150 for the pair which i think is pretty good.
  • richg1979
    gone for the fulcrum red metal 5s really good reviews so fingers crossed.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm not a fan of shimano hubs after my housemate managed to destroy an xt freehub with his excessive manliness. Also servicing c&c hubs is an unnecessary burden in life. Finally I'd never buy a wheelset that didn't have spokes that are readily available (the exception to this is my white inbred which has sapim cx-rays, but they'll never snap so it's okay).

Hence hope hoops

+1 still cant comprehend why they still use c+c, have to service mine every two months, mates with pro2's have never had to service their hubs...