PC Help!

Jordan93
Jordan93 Posts: 336
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
Every so often my my screen will go black and it will say 'No Signal' then it 'Input not supported' will bounce around the screen. What do I do?

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 6200SE Turbocache if it helps

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Check connections between moniitor and PC. Use the screws on the connectors if not already. Try a different PC to monitor cable.
  • Already using screws connections seem fine, I'll try another cable
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    try wiggling the cable at the each end and see if you can make it happen on demand. Basically the monitor is saying it's not connected to the PC so there's a dodgy connection somewhere. It could be in the cable, in the connectors or inside the monitor or graphics card.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • I'd buy a new bike.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Unplug the cables, blow into each end and plug them back in, otherwise it sounds like you graphics card is overheating, use the pc till it happens then open the case and see if the card is really hot, it could be because the little fan is gone.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    what are you doing when it goes blank? Game playing may overheat the card but just using windows it's barely ticking over.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • why don't you just refrain from commenting, if you don't have something useful to say.
    I'd buy a new bike.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    dmch2 wrote:
    what are you doing when it goes blank? Game playing may overheat the card but just using windows it's barely ticking over.

I was fiddling with some family member or other's pc, and a similar thing kept happening after about 30 mins to 1 hour just using the web browser. But is was fine at night in a freezing cold conservatory. The little fan's motor had burnt out, they still create heat no matter what.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why don't you just refrain from commenting, if you don't have something useful to say.
    I'd buy a new bike.

LOL, sorry, but that post was more pointless than the pointless post you were complaining about.

ANYWAY....

When the screen goes off, what do you do to get it back? Dose rebooting help? Do you just have to wait for a while? If so how long?
  • why don't you just refrain from commenting, if you don't have something useful to say.
    I'd buy a new bike.

A nice shiny one.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    why don't you just refrain from commenting, if you don't have something useful to say.
    I'd buy a new bike.

Lighten up ffs :roll: Don't you do jokes :?
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Post on a computer forum, you'll get more help.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    graphics card producing a display setting thats out of range for the monitor to cope with ?
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    The only time I've seen that problem is with cable disconnected, if the computer crashes it still gets a signal so you don't get on OSD message on the monitor.
  • father_jack
    graphics card producing a display setting thats out of range for the monitor to cope with ?

No as usually it'll show a "out of range" message
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I'd buy a new bike.

you could do with following your own advice!
  • Just a thought, is it a new graphics card? You may need a bit more wattage. I stuck an nvidia card my pc and got similar screen nonsense as yourself. All it needed was a new power unit to cope with the 2 hd's, and graphics card. Try the monitor without the graphics card, thats if your video is integrated into the mobo.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • father_jack
    More than just "wattage" it's the ability of the PSU to provide current. But tbh it sounds like a bad connection somewhere, either on videocard pins/solder points, cable, or perhaps the monitor connector itself. Try using a different video input/output on your videocard & monitor, and/or different cable, try another monitor & videocard last.
  • father_jack
    I'd buy a new bike.

Lol you bought a bike yet, maybe that hit home?
  • strewth, how many covert IT workers does it need to change a lightbulb whilst whiling away their desk time before the next cuppa and hometime?
    My pen won't write on the screen