going to buy Endura Road Overshoes unless ... swayed

brucebanner
brucebanner Posts: 256
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Afternoon,

Are 'Endura Road Overshoes' completely waterproof?
Is there something else that you'd recommend over these?

I rode in the rain yesterday and I nearly ruined my shoes, so I'm about to head off and buy these as it seems like it's going to rain tomorrow.

Does Gore do a waterproof overshoe?

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    my Endura neoprene road ones died after a couple of seasons... i found them good, but the sole tore up quite easy.

I might go for the MTB version next. It has a heavier rubberised toe and sole that might stand up to cafe stops better.
  • Well I bought some last year and they are very waterproof, just wear through on the bottom rather quickly. Just walking from the flat to the shed over the winter wore them out (and presumably putting my foot down at traffic lights).
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have the MTB ones, they only wore slightly where I had studs in the front of my old shoes, my new ones dont have them so they should be fine, and they did keep my feet warm even in snow the one time I cycled to work in the dry and it started snowing halfway through the day
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I rode in the rain yesterday and I nearly ruined my shoes,

what..? getting your shoes wet or dirty is not going to ruin them...unless your shoes are made of rice paper, or something...
  • I bought some Endura ones and they were literally falling apart within a few months, and BOTH the zips broke.

Replaced with Pro Tarmac NPU+ and they seemed much better.

Neither would keep my feet completely dry if out for a 15 mile+ ride in very wet conditions. As I understand it, waterproof socks are the only way forward for completely dry feet!
  • to the blond haired female customer in cycle surgery at Cycle Surgery (Spitafields) at lunch, thank you for your experience report.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    to the blond haired female customer in cycle surgery at Cycle Surgery (Spitafields) at lunch, thank you for your experience report.

What about the overshoes?
    I like white bikes
  • I've had the Endura MTB Neoprene overshoes and currently have the road versions.

Both good but not waterproof over longer rides when it's very wet. They do keep your feet nice and warm even when wet.

The zip went after 2 years on the MTB ones and the underside wore through.

I like them especially in the depths of winter. I even wear them on cold dry days to keep my feet warm.
  • I found that they are waterproof for short rides up to 40 mins, but even if they do get wet they keep your feet warm. The zips and the bottom part have held together fine for 1.5 years

Just a word of warning, I have look keo pedals and i found that when they rubbed against the crank arm, within 10 minutes they had rubbed holes straight through the neoprene . Nothing duct tape couldn't cover, but still really annoying

If your shoes dont rub on the crankarms then you should be okay, but if they do I would look elsewhere
  • that_guy wrote:
    Just a word of warning, I have look keo pedals and i found that when they rubbed against the crank arm, within 10 minutes they had rubbed holes straight through the neoprene . Nothing duct tape couldn't cover, but still really annoying

If your shoes dont rub on the crankarms then you should be okay, but if they do I would look elsewhere

+1. I patched mine with a puncture repair kit but it's still annoying. If your shoes tend to rub on the cranks I'd get some of the non 'rubbery' style overshoes. They can still be waterproof but shouldn't tear as easily.
  • Yes. Very strange. She picked up a pair of overshoes intending to buy them, of course, I was puzzled - she didn't want to try them on. I asked and she said she has been through two pairs in two years - not bad.

If it's raining tomorrow, I'll wear them and post an update.
    sundog wrote:
    to the blond haired female customer in cycle surgery at Cycle Surgery (Spitafields) at lunch, thank you for your experience report.

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    she said she has been through two pairs in two years - not bad.

I'm going into my third winter with a pair of BBB neoprene overshoes I paid about £15 for from my LBS - not bad.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I'm not sure i'd buy another pair if the last 2 haven't lasted

Yes. Very strange. She picked up a pair of overshoes intending to buy them, of course, I was puzzled - she didn't want to try them on. I asked and she said she has been through two pairs in two years - not bad.

sundog wrote:

I like white bikes
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Yes. Very strange. She picked up a pair of overshoes intending to buy them, of course, I was puzzled - she didn't want to try them on. I asked and she said she has been through two pairs in two years - not bad.

sundog wrote:

It's still 16 degrees outside, your feet will be soaking if it rains or not. I don't wear mine unless the temperature's way down in the single figures. They're awesome at keeping the cold at bay. You won't be disappointed.

You might want to smear some vaseline or lithium/workshop grease on the zips. The zips failed on my first pair, probably because of the salt and sweat. I put some lithium grease on my next pair and they're still going strong after two years.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”