Skills training centres and courses

freefly_mong
freefly_mong Posts: 65
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I am looking for somewhere to get some tuition with a few mates. We want to progress and learn to jump bigger and better so we can hit a few doubles etc when we go to trail centres.

Can anybody reccommend somewhere? I have looked at ukbikeskills in herts but could also do South Wales. If anybody has had good or bad experiences please let me know!

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    learning to jump doubles is much more of a mental thing than skill.....

you just need to get over the fact theres a gap in the middle, which is easier said than done.

If you can jump table tops, you can do doubles, its all in the head.

Best place to learn doubles is a local BMX track, the doubles there 99% of the time are rollable, so its not to much of an issue if you come up a little short. You can learn to judge speed and how much you need to pop off what kind of kickers.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup. But then a lot of training is about the mental tricks and confidence rather than the actual skills. Like, I've not done much training at all but it wasn't teaching me something new, it was teaching me to make better use of the skills I already had.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I to am looking to get some skills - but more of the basic skills type not like your after.

Has anyone been on these courses?!
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    There's plenty of providers in the UK popping up now which is good for the sport. Some (like us) offer various courses, where others will have courses tailored for just the jumping and other types of courses. We don't have a course just for jumping this is mainly due to our area not having a skills area, pump track or freeride area. However, I'm sure there are plenty of other companies operating that would be able to tailor a jumping course.

I can second the idea of visitng BMX, 4x, freeride or even pump track to practice these skills. What you probably want to do though is perfect something a lot smaller which then makes getting bigger and bigger easier.

Ollie, to answer your question, I've not really heard anything bad about any company that is out there, however, some people have preferences in the way things are taught.

If it helps, take a look at our guide to choosing a provider - www.chaseskills.co.uk/choose.html

Best regards
    Craig Rogers
  • I did a 4hr 1 to 1 session with ukbikeskills and couldn't recommend it more. The guy isn't nicknamed Jedi for nothing.

I wanted a real, 'back to basics and repair all the bad habits I'm been embedding for the last 10 years' sort of course and that's exactly what I got, all taught in a way which seemed to suit my learning style.

It wasn't cheap, but then I doubt there's any bit of kit I could have bought which would have had such positive impact... If you want any more info, then PM me and I'll go into more detail.
  • Thanks all just what I needed to hear. I think some advice would be great from somebody who can. I think that riding in a group you can all get the same idea, which is often wrong, or you just need somebody else to put you right!
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    meesterbond, thank you for your kind words. jumping is a technique. making sure the mental and physical skills are in place make all the techniques simples :)
  • Hi Jedi, it seems you are the man that can! I think we will be in touch shortly.
  • i can also recommend All Biked Up, they're based in Surrey Hills. Sent the mrs on a course there and doing one myself in on the list for spring 2011.

www.allbikedup.com
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Jedi
    freefly mong, see you soon :)
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Jedi wrote:
    meesterbond, thank you for your kind words. jumping is a technique. making sure the mental and physical skills are in place make all the techniques simples :)

Surely all you need is the force? :)

I am also seriously considering some mountain bike skills training. I have picked up quite a bit just from riding the trails but would be nice to see if how I'm currently riding them is the best way to ride them.
  • Jedi
    i guess that's what i teach :)
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I have been christened by Jedi. If you are in or around Herts area definately go for it if you can afford it. Riding the type of trails now, that would think twice before hitting them at full speed, maybe not full but you get the idea. Don't expect to be riding God straight after the lessons but once basics are installed into your riding then possibilities are endless.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Jedi wrote:

Yep, every skill is down to technique, there's no need to hope for the best.

And as x-isle said, I've not heard of any bad providers out there. One or two have a bit of a 'my way is the only way' attitude, but that's not a disaster as it'll still work.

If anyone fancies a course at Dalby or a 7stanes weekend course give us a call. If you're curious there's a customer comments link on the skills course page.
  • Jedi
    no, eevry technique has specific skills that must be in place for that technique to work.
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    edited October 2010
    Jedi wrote:
    no, eevry technique has specific skills that must be in place for that technique to work.

Ok, depends on how you define skill/technique etc. All I was saying is that stuff can be learned rather than everything being down to bravery as is often thought.

I was actually agreeing with you...
  • Jedi
    I was saying is that stuff can be learned rather than everything being down to bravery as is often thought.

thats true