What to upgrade first on 2009 Trek 1.7?

Smonks
Smonks Posts: 40
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I bought a Trek 1.7 on the cycle to work scheme last year, and very happy with it too :D

What would be the first thing worth upgrading on the bike, and why?

I assume the biggest gain would come from a new set of wheels - is this true?

If so, what would you suggest as a replacement wheel set?

I was thinking of Fulcrum Racing 3 Clincher wheel set - but that would be at the very top end of my budget and perhaps they are too good for the rest of the bike?

Would Fulcrum Racing Clincher 5's be a noticeable upgrade on the factory standard Bontrager wheel set?

All advice much appreciated.
Road: Trek 1.7
Off-road : Santa Cruz Blur XC
Commute: Dawes Edge One SS

Comments

• Wheels or save up to upgrade the whole bike?

Wheel decision depends on thickness of wallet and future cycling plans.

Little point really spending Dura ace money unless you plan to take them to your next bike, anything over RS80 or Fulcrum 3 would be overkill, anything less and you may or may not feel your expenditure was justified unless you can hang on to the placebo effect for some time?

Have you tried different tyres, for £50-60 you will notice a difference in performance over the standard Bontrager fitment.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The wheels for sure, i had compact 1.7 for a while, which i got through work and it saw me through last winter until i had an accident in april.
    The wheels are poor and i swapped them for a set of Mavic Elites which are a lot lighter and pretty robust but others to consider would be shimano RS80 or the fulcrum 3s, look at the wheels as an investment, when/if you change your bike you can keep the wheels for your nxt bike.
    The groupset is sound for the bike(105), the only other items that are worth the upgrade are the saddle and seatpost but i swapped the bars and stem because i wanted a set that i find comfortable.
  • Cheers guys.

My thinking is to upgrade a few things, like wheels and possibly seatpost, seat and possibly handlebars too, and then save for a carbon frame on to which I'll then transfer all the components, and then potentially upgrade those, including the groupset as and when funds allow.

Been looking into new tyres also, thanks for the heads up that a decent set would be a worthwhile investment.

I know it's an age old question, and comes down to personal preference a lot of the time, but what contenders would be worthwhile tyre upgrades?

Bozman - which Mavic Elites did you go with - Cosmic or Ksyrium?
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    I couldn't find details of the 1.9 on bikepedia so I'm assuming some things in common with my 2010 1.5.

I'd thought tyres, wheels and brakes (unbranded on mine) were the only things to look at.

What's wrong with the saddle and seatpost?

From looking at wheels I was assuming that £130 Planet X model Bs would be a sensible buy. You're looking at £200 or £400. I've no idea how good the bontrager 'approved' (i.e. unbranded) wheels are but do you need to spend that much to get a worthwhile upgrade? If you're keeping them for the next bike then obviously it doesn't matter if they're 'too good' for the Trek frame etc.

The various tyre threads seem to be settling on Continental the GP3000S with Michelin Pro 3, Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX and Shwalbe Ultremo R1s somewhere behind but with their supporters.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • There are so many threads on tyre choices on here you may wish never asked!

I cycle only for pleasure and want the fastest, grippiest tyres that are puncture resistant...A tall order!

Now and on my previous Trek 1.9 I ran Conti 4000S, you cannot quite have all of the criteria I mentioned above, I use Mich pro3 in the summer, they ride well in terms of roll and feel, but personally find them less robust than the Contis, hence my default year round choice.

The above work well for me from my experience so far, tyres seem to be quite a personal choice, there will no doubt be several posts explaining why such reccomendations are so wrong...each to their own, etc... :)
  • dmch2 wrote:
    I couldn't find details of the 1.9 on bikepedia so I'm assuming some things in common with my 2010 1.5.

A bit different I think, the 1.7 is a bit higher spec, here's the full standard spec...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/17-compact-2009-road-bike-ec016477

The brakes and groupset are all 105 so perfectly good for me right now.

Nothing wrong with the saddle and seat post so much, thought the seatpost was alu but only recently noticed it was carbon :oops: These are just things I may upgrade for comfort/lightness after I've ridden it a lot more.

I do like the look of the RC80 wheels.......and a set can be picked up new from ebay for £349 which seems ok. Add some good tyres and that sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    OK - looks a fair bit higher spec than mine so my thoughts are less relevant that I thought. I'll keep my comments to a separate topic once I've got some money to spend! :)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Bozman
    The wheels were Ksyrium elites in black.
    Somebody mentioned upgrading the brakes.. the brakes on my 1.7 were shimano 105(more than good enough), it had a full 105 groupset and the previous years model had some ultegra , they've gradually lowered the spec.
    I have my fav model of saddle so it was swapped for that and the seatpost went for a white ritchey wcs alloy, which looked good with the frame, that was all down to personal choice.
  • I'd agree wheels & tyres are the way forward.

I'd recommend Halo Mercurys at around £230pr. Aero, sub 1600g + stiffer & longer lasting bearings than the Xeros or Prolites I've used. They've been great on my bike:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... heels-8973

Rubino Pro 3 or similar lightish folding tyres would be good.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Smonks,,,just to add....It may be worth trying new tyres now on your old wheels first....rather than fitting the new wheel/tyre combo on the 1.7, that way you should be have a rough benchmark guide to how much improvement is down to the tyres and new wheels individually.
  • Bozman
    If you take the plunge, try merlin cycles for the RS80s, they seem the cheapest at the mo. I got a set after the insurance came through and they're a top wheel, they're a bargain for the price and give wheels at twice the price a run for their money, check out reviews on the net.
    You seem to have the right idea on upgrading, do what you can with that frame and move on, i've done that over time and i've got a couple of cracking bikes now.
  • Bozman wrote:
    If you take the plunge, try merlin cycles for the RS80s, they seem the cheapest at the mo.

Oooh, that is a good price, and I'v just been paid 8)

Luckily they are out of stock right now, gives me a bit more time to consider my options.

I guess it would be 4 contenders...

RS80
    Halo's
    Fulcrum 3's
    Mavic Kysrium Elites

Need a stroking chin smiley :)

The RS80's do look nice though 8)