Disc brake rubbing frame

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nick's got a point. Something is seriosuly wrong if the frame can't accept 160mm discs.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Of course it's easy to lock the back wheel when braking. When decellerating, all your weight is transferred to the front of the bike, unweighting the rear, causing it to break traction.

:lol: I'm aware of the physics, I just think a 140 rotor will aid in trying to not rip up the trails is all :D

Oh and I'm with Nick on this one too. Though looking at your photos; could the seatstay be bent? :?
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    there is something seriously wrong with that bike.

What frame is it?
  • Andy! wrote:
    there is something seriously wrong with that bike.

What frame is it?

It's a cheap Exodus Blade, and I have read the comments in this forum about what people think about it :roll: , after I got it for £350, but the components are good, even if the frame isn't.

I'm toying with taking it to my LBS to put all the bits on a decent frame, but would really like to get some more use out of it before then, plus I'm supposed to do a couple of rides pulling the kids in a trailer, and a £4k titanium race bike is not exactly the ideal alternative :D

Hence why I'd like to get it up and running again for a few more weeks, even if I have to fit a second hand 140mm rotor, which looks the cheapest option at the moment.

I'm not sure which FAQ to look at regarding the hub, but as far as I can tell, the wheel is central, nothing is bent and it all seems correct. In fact the only thing I'm suspicious is the chainstay doesn't flatten until quite close to the hub, which suggests to me, the frame was never really designed to handle discs, it's got angles more akin to my race bike than other MTBs I've seen.

mike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mbuckhurst wrote:
    It's a cheap Exodus Blade,
    Boom, there's the answer right there. Afraid it's what's technically known as "a turkey".
  • Andy!
    Well that explains that than.

It can't be the hub/wheel as the caliper would never fit on the disc.

Might get a couple of £ for it if you weigh it in down at the scrap yard.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    mbuckhurst wrote:
    It's a cheap Exodus Blade

Ah, it all becomes clear now... nothing wrong with anything, just the frame won't accommodate 160mm rotor...

Just out of interest:
    http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Bikes/Exodus-Blade-Alloy-Mountain-Bicycle-175in-Frame/invt/ml00027
  • Andy!
    £700 for that!
  • shm_uk wrote:
    mbuckhurst wrote:
    It's a cheap Exodus Blade

Ah, it all becomes clear now... nothing wrong with anything, just the frame won't accommodate 160mm rotor...

Just out of interest:
    http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Bikes/Exodus-Blade-Alloy-Mountain-Bicycle-175in-Frame/invt/ml00027

That seems to be the issue - the frame is not capable of taking the rotor, that is the bike but it didn't cost £700, £350 minus a stack of tesco points, so roughly £320 I think, which was the cheapest by quite a margin given the components spec. at the time when I bought it.

At the end of the day, I'd only call it a turkey if it hadn't worked fine for a couple of hundred miles, got me onto trails I'd never have seen on my road bike, and in reality I'm sure by fitting the correct rotor it will be fine, unfortunately I know nothing of mtb maintenance hence ending up here.

mike
  • Andy!
    alligator deffo do 140mm discs if you are going that route.

edit: although tbh it is really unfit for purpose. But I see your point about not being able to get anything else like that for £320.