Overshoes - can you recommend a pair?

thinbo
thinbo Posts: 93
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
With the temperature dropping and the roads becoming wetter I'm looking for some overshoes to help keep my toes warm (and preferably dry, but I accept any "waterproof" overshoes are just prolonging the inevitable).

Would anyone recommend neoprene ones over PU/gore-tex type ones?

Thanks

(I can't really justify buying separate insulated/waterproof shoes)
CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
Giant Defy 2 '09

Comments

• Having overshoes myself, you want ones that are waterproof and windproof/warm. I have some waterproof ones (as you mention waterproof upto a point, probably 20 miles or so and shoes will be wet) And they're not warm either, just thin waterproof fabric. Looking at another pair also.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Endura road overshoes:

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... prod_id=14

I'm really impressed with mine
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I'm after some overshoes which prevent (as much as possible) water running in to my shoes through my ankle and that are quick and easy to put on? I use SPD shoes so they would probably need to be slightly bigger than the road shoe version.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Warmest and longest lasting overshoes I've had are Pro Tarmac NBU+ ones, possibly too warm if it's above 5c or so.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I have Pro Tarmac NPU+ and they are great, warm and waterproof: http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4569
  • Sonny73 wrote:
    I have Pro Tarmac NPU+ and they are great, warm and waterproof: http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4569

Neoprene isn't waterproof, it'll absorb water and that'll go into your shoe. But it's excellent at keeping you warm, even when the neoprene is wet.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Depends on the construction but neoprene certainly can be waterproof...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Another happy Pro NPU+ user here.

Only downside to them is that I find them a bit of a struggle to get on.
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Endura road overshoes:

+1

These tick all the boxes
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i've got a pair of pro new classic but the toes curl over the top of my shoe exposing my toes (they're currently on ebay). is this likely to be a sizing issue?

i've just bought some campag txn something or others but they seem too thin. i cant wear my old dhb ones because they block my cleats from clipping into the pedal. what should i do?!!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    gsk82 wrote:
    i've got a pair of pro new classic but the toes curl over the top of my shoe exposing my toes (they're currently on ebay)
    I didn't think you were allowed to sell body parts on ebay.
  • bhickey
    bhickey Posts: 49
    I tried the Endura Neoprene o/shoes and they seemed to keep my feet dry from the elements but what I gained from that I lost due to excessive sweat. I tried the Prendas overshoes and they looked great and were very light but not waterprroof in the slightest. After much searching I've just bought the GoreTex Power III Thermo's - v expensive at £45 but I'm hoping this will be the ideal combination of warm & dry (internal and external). We shall see....
  • BBB waterflex are really good. Used them for 2 winters and still going strong. Wind and waterproof.
  • These are cheap and fit really well:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45049
  • I tried the Endura overshoes as per the link in this thread, and they were very warm and waterproof, but I found becasue they were very thick, they would rub on the crank.

I've now got a pair of the Pro Tarmac overshoes and although they're probably not quite as warm, but do the job admirably.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    jame58rown wrote:
    These are cheap and fit really well:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45049

I have those they are cheaper on the bay.

I have a problem my cycling shoes destroy underneath the toe area on my overshoes (on the sole in front of the cleat) Does anyone have a pair that are strong and reinforced in this area as my overshoes are getting holed and wrecked from the plastic grip/styling studs which the overshoe fits over?
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Endura road overshoes. I have been using these for commuting for the last 5 years. I have worn them in the wettest & the coldest of conditions. I also use them on regular long trips at weekends. The neoprene will eventually let the wet through but your feet will stay toasty and warm 8)
  • BBB hardwear.

I just got back from a proper soaking and my feet are dry.

I've only had them a couple of weeks, so can't comment on longevity, but they must beat the enduras I had last winter; the zip went and bits on the underside frayed really quickly.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I did the Blenheim Palace Sportive this year - must rate as just about the wettest day out I've experienced on a bike.
    I wore a pair of Rapha Condor neoprene overshoes and very glad I was too!!
    As stated above, they are not completely waterproof - particularly if you have to walk about for 3/4 hour at the start in far from ideal surface conditions - but they keep you warm and to me that is the massively important part.
    I heard someone giving off about the type of cleats they have letting water up into the underside of their shoes - not sure which they were or if there is any substance to this comment.

Peter
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Endura road overshoes:

+1

These tick all the boxes
    +2

Mine have done 3 years hard service and I can't fault them.
  • Just about to order my third pair of bbb waterflex, They tend to last on average 2 years but they are an essential piece of cycling clothing/equipment and not only keep your shoes/feet dry (although this tends to get slightly less the more they get worn...which I suppose is not surprising :D ) Size is important! so make sure they are large enough to go over the shoes.

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
    www.runningfree.co.uk
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Endura road overshoes:

I don't think mine will last until next year, but other then that I am impressed too. They're cheap as well.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I've had endura road neoprene overshoes for a couple of years, which i wear with both my road spdSL and MTB spd shoes. They have been good and warm, but they are getting tatty now. The sole and heel area got worn quite quickly and they are starting to give up the ghost now. but quite good.

I went for a set of PRO Tarmac H2O overshoes as a replacement (got them a week ago) and they are quite good, however the sole looks to be more suited for use with a SPD_SL road style plate, rather than with a MTB SPD sole. The foot plate hole is quite small, and doesn't really strech all the way round th MTB sole, so there is a high chance that one will end up walking on it and causing premature wear. On a road shoe it wouldn't be a problem as the SPD/LS / look cleat would raise the shoe up of the ground and you wouldn't stand on the fabric. Other than that they are nice and waterproof.

I think i might fo for the Endura MTB neoprene overshoes next.... they are a bit more robust than the road ones.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have had some Altura overshoes that aren't made anymore
    Endura Neoprene ones
    And BBB Waterflex - PU type

The Altura ones were made of some kind of waterproofed canvas. They weren't used a lot and lasted a few years

The Endura Neoprene ones are now on their second winter and their last legs. The front of the right one is scuffed away and it keeps flipping back. The zip handle on the right one has fallen off so the zip is fiddley to do up. The left one has started splitting on the stitching and has a hole over the outside ankle. They do not allow breathing of the foot and this means in the warm the foot gets sweaty and in the cold the foot gets sweaty and therefore cold

The BBB ones are also in their second winter. They have no splits etc apart from some scuffing on the left one in the toe. This lets in some water. They breathe better than the neoprene ones and are lined with fleecy stuff to keep in some warmth. They also fold down very small

I'd buy some PU BBB branded ones again, maybe with a reinforced toe next time though
    Wouldn't get neoprene/Endura ones again
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I've replaced my well worn enduras with some from planet-x

They look and feel much better, but wont be using them for another couple of months hopefully :)
  • SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    I've got some of the Enduras, I like them and they seem to do a good job of keeping my feet quite dry too. If your cleat position allows for any float that causes your heel to touch the crank arm you're probably going to end up wearing them through - I noticed slight fraying of the neoprene after just two shortish rides.

I've remedied it by sticking a square of waterproof fabric tape where there's interference.

Provided you don't mind the do-it-yourself repair I think they're great for not much dosh.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    northpole wrote:
    I did the Blenheim Palace Sportive this year - must rate as just about the wettest day out I've experienced on a bike.
    I wore a pair of Rapha Condor neoprene overshoes and very glad I was too!!
    As stated above, they are not completely waterproof - particularly if you have to walk about for 3/4 hour at the start in far from ideal surface conditions - but they keep you warm and to me that is the massively important part.
    I heard someone giving off about the type of cleats they have letting water up into the underside of their shoes - not sure which they were or if there is any substance to this comment.

Peter

I have the Rapha ones, as usual with Rapha they are probably the most expensive overshoes on the market at £50 a pair. However like all other Rapha stuff they look great and work extremely well.