Band on friction shifters

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
A serious question for once!

Anyone upgraded band on friction shifters to index shifters? Any pitfalls?

Ultimately I would like to upgrade to STI's but I would need to fit cable stops - does anyone know if these will work on the band on part?

Don't want to have to have braze on's fitted!

Comments

• I have nothing helpful to say, however, I misread you thread title as, "Ban on friction shifters!". This forum is getting more and more proscriptive every day.
  • gtvlusso
    Hmm - I can put some band cable stops on......hmmmm
  • If you're commuting on the bike or maintenance shy just run full outers.

You can fit in line cable adjusters so you don't need the stops for barrel adjusters.
  • gtvlusso
    If you're commuting on the bike or maintenance shy just run full outers.

You can fit in line cable adjusters so you don't need the stops for barrel adjusters.

Hiya - bit lost! The innner needs to move - therefore the outer needs to be stopped. What do I stop it against before the f and r mech?
  • Presumably you have a stop at some point for your current mechs. You can run full outer to the last stop.

I admit the front may be more of an issue!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It'll b fine I've done band and braze conversions for STI/ergo set ups and mixed and matched friction and index downtube setups, simples!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gtvlusso
    Hmm - I would need to buy cable clamps at least....
  • gtvlusso
    itboffin wrote:
    It'll b fine I've done band and braze conversions for STI/ergo set ups and mixed and matched friction and index downtube setups, simples!

@ITB - can U se the band that the friction mounted shifters are on to mount up cable stops? Seems logical that I could just change to index downtube shifters!?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    gtvlusso wrote:

OMGWTFBBQ?!

Off to Commuting General with you. That's the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gtvlusso
    Agent57 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

OMGWTFBBQ?!

Off to Commuting General with you. That's the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions.

may be so - but no one ever looks at commuting general....
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    True dat.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    gtvlusso wrote:

I'm sure you can get them - weird folk who used to use bar end or (cue Hovis ad music) stem shifters back in the '80s used to have some sort of band on stop on the down tube, so they must still be available - try Spa or SJS, they seem to have loads of sad old g1ts with fusty old rusting steel bikes that they love too much to get rid of*.

So you've bought your dream 531 Pro frame, then??? Or am I thinking of somene else?

*Classic eg: me

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gtvlusso
    SecretSam wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I'm sure you can get them - weird folk who used to use bar end or (cue Hovis ad music) stem shifters back in the '80s used to have some sort of band on stop on the down tube, so they must still be available - try Spa or SJS, they seem to have loads of sad old g1ts with fusty old rusting steel bikes that they love too much to get rid of*.

So you've bought your dream 531 Pro frame, then??? Or am I thinking of somene else?

*Classic eg: me

531c - would like a 531SL or Pro frame (as my fixie TT bike is) - but it is rare!
  • secretsam
    gtvlusso wrote:
    531c

Join the club. Will those nice men at Argos be giving it some TLC (and paint(!)), then?

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares-dept88_pg1/

I was going to suggest SJS cycles too, however if you are going to Argos for a respray I bet they'd have a band on gear hanger or similar to start the cable run
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • secretsam
    edhornby wrote:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares-dept88_pg1/

I was going to suggest SJS cycles too, however if you are going to Argos for a respray I bet they'd have a band on gear hanger or similar to start the cable run

LOL If (and I think it's "if") he's off to Argos for a bit of enamel action, then he could get them to braze on some fittings...but it's a slippery slope, as I considered the Argos route and almost ended up getting allen key brake fittings, dropping the rear brake hanger, cable stops/guides on the D/T, second set of bottle bosses, carrier bosses...and then I worked out a new 631 frame would be almost as cheap :oops:

• Plus argos paint jobs aren't that durable unless you go for the MOD grade epoxy stuff, then you only get a few colours :(
  • itboffin
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

@ITB - can U se the band that the friction mounted shifters are on to mount up cable stops? Seems logical that I could just change to index downtube shifters!?

Yep friction off index on, simple as that, if you don't have the brazed lugs then use an old band on lug or whatever the modern sjs version is. Likewise you could also fit the cable stop adjusters to the same lugs and run STI
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

OMGWTFBBQ?!

as an aside geekery - you don't play TF2 do you...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    itboffin wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yep friction off index on, simple as that, if you don't have the brazed lugs then use an old band on lug or whatever the modern sjs version is. Likewise you could also fit the cable stop adjusters to the same lugs and run STI

Might need to be a bit careful as not all band on fittings used the same bolts to secure the levers, but should be just a case of checking before you buy. SJS have some Shimano SL-QP 6sp (non-indexed - how is that 6sp then?) band-on shifters for £9.99. Might even grab a pair myself for a tenner.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    6 speed shudder, you want 7 speed that's were it's at :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Don't know if you've come across this

http://velobase.com/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition