Campaign for Rear Mudguards

Sanderville
Sanderville Posts: 52
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
At this time of year I'd like to see our national cycling press, websites and blogs start a campaign for rear mudguards. I get heartily sick of having toxic road grime sprayed at my face for an hour a day just because people think that having a plastic mudguard on their bike will make the difference between being called up by Sky or being left at home.

It costs almost nothing to add a mudguard, they now fit every bike on the road, and not having one is just plain anti-social.

It's not that hard - fit a mudguard!

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I struggle to get even Crud RRs to fit my S1 properly so I don't put them on.

Ride a little further away, especially since braking distances are also longer in these conditions.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189

While I echo your sentiment, I do take issue with this. It took me ages to fit my SKS mudguards, fiddly little bolts and trying to get the stays round the pannier rack and disc calipers. Also, for the front one I had to bend the stays into a curve any degree level mathematician would be proud of before they'd fit. It was bl**dy hard! Worse than indexing my gears! Probably my fault for having disc brakes though...

Your right though, it is a bit antisocial, espescially if it's in an area where it's so busy that you can't leave sufficient room (from the cyclist in front) for the spray to settle.
  • since thinking distance at 20mph is some 20ft if your close enough to be sprayed you too close.

my normal town bike has guards which makes the commute dryer, my roadie doesn't have the clearances, quite frankly if the spray keeps some drafters away, well good! as its very dumb practice on the commute.
  • asprilla
    edited September 2010
    I used to have one on the fixed, but since it's got horizontal track ends removing the rear tyre to repair a puncture necessitated removed the mudguard as well which was a right pain in the bum.

You'll be happy to know that my new commuter is currently being delayed because they are out of stock of mudguards.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • i'm in the camp of if your that close, then you probably deserve getting sprayed. back up!

personal choice whether someone chooses to fit them or not, why we would need more legislation telling us what we must do, is beyond me....
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    At this time of year I'd like to see our national cycling press, websites and blogs start a campaign for rear mudguards. I get heartily sick of having toxic road grime sprayed at my face for an hour a day just because people think that having a plastic mudguard on their bike will make the difference between being called up by Sky or being left at home.

It costs almost nothing to add a mudguard, they now fit every bike on the road, and not having one is just plain anti-social.

2 hopes - no hope and Bob hope!

I won't use them on either bike as they simply won't fit! TT frame (fixie) with virtually no clearance and race frame with no clearance - they also don't really make a significant difference in my experience in wet weather. I have also had a race blade come off, luckily it did not fall into the wheel - a long time ago!!

Perhaps you should be SCR'ing and overtaking said fiend's......or riding a little to the left or right of them.

On the other hand, I was aware that our 4 x 4 leaves a big footprint of muck and spray behind it in adverse conditions - so that is fitted with full mud flaps......!
  • Shame that frames aren't made with clearance by law - which wouldn't be bad for anyone, the bike would still physically move the same.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • asprilla
    stickman wrote:
    Shame that frames aren't made with clearance by law - which wouldn't be bad for anyone, the bike would still physically move the same.

Really?

Wow.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    and if you have an old 27in (wheel size) frame with a 700c wheel in it ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I usually fit them, but not always :P

But seriously, if you're getting sprayed in the face then you're too close. You should slow down or overtake. In wet weather it's a tad dangerous getting right up behind someone...that's what I think anyway :P
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    stickman wrote:
    Shame that frames aren't made with clearance by law - which wouldn't be bad for anyone, the bike would still physically move the same.

Yeah - frame geometry, aerodynamic stability and design are so overated.....we should use MTB frames for everything, racing, TT, pista - the lot!
  • At this time of year I'd like to see our national cycling press, websites and blogs start a campaign for rear mudguards. I get heartily sick of having toxic road grime sprayed at my face for an hour a day just because people think that having a plastic mudguard on their bike will make the difference between being called up by Sky or being left at home.

Simple remedy.

Make the pass.

If you can't, STFU. Don't sit in the comfy seat and complain about the view.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • edhornby wrote:
    and if you have an old 27in (wheel size) frame with a 700c wheel in it ?
    ... then it's easier to fit mudguards, as you have an extra 4mm of clearance and a wider range of narrow-section tyres...

Cheers,
    W.
  • I've got a 650a bike 112mm dropouts, full mudguards, fitted with mtb diameter wheels, works fine. (And did with original wheels). Also a 700c road bike with 35mm tyres. No need to not be clearance.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • IT'S COMMUTING!!!!!!!!!

Just drop back. don't draft somebody you don't know, they may do something weird.

Plus you won't get wet. Solves the moan I think
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    An absence of mudguards keeps the drafting fairies away.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    stickman wrote:
    INo need to not be clearance.

What about TT bikes and those with similar geometries?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • IT'S COMMUTING!!!!!!!!!

Just drop back. don't draft somebody you don't know, they may do something weird.

In London if you drop back, someone just overtakes you and slots into the gap you just left. Then they get sprayed :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:

Simple remedy.

Make the pass.

This ^ I've only got this far in this thread and some of the views expressed are a little backward to say the least
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    artaxerxes wrote:
    IT'S COMMUTING!!!!!!!!!

In London if you drop back, someone just overtakes you and slots into the gap you just left. Then they get sprayed :D

then you take two scalps for the price of one
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg66 wrote:

Simple remedy.

Make the pass.

+1. MTFU and stop drafting in the rain :P
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    What about the cretins who overtake/push to the front at lights, baulk your overtaking by being unable to clip in, pootle off at 1mph and spray rain over the peleton behind them?

I suppose people who gob on other cyclists also justify that by keeping the drafting fairies at bay....
  • Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    I wasn't really thinking of the drafting peleton side of things. On my commute most of it is on tarmac, but there still around 6 miles on canal tow-path. It's here where mudguards really work, especially around the time of leaf-fall. When I'm waiting (for a suitably wide section to pass) behind a fellow commuter using a MTB with 2" tyres, they kick up a fair amount of leaflitter, dog crap etc... and I'd rather this was caught by a mudguard (even a rear crudcatcher would stop it going above waist height!).

Having said that, I think a campaign to get everyone to install one is probably a bit overkill and unlikely to succeed!

Anyway, as you were, mudguard haters and lovers alike...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    nich wrote:
    I usually fit them, but not always :P

But seriously, if you're getting sprayed in the face then you're too close. You should slow down or overtake. In wet weather it's a tad dangerous getting right up behind someone...that's what I think anyway :P

You could argue that they have no brakes either, so they'll slow at the same pace; still not a good idea though
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    I suppose people who gob on other cyclists also justify that by keeping the drafting fairies at bay....

Lol, what?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Simple remedy.

Make the pass.

+1. MTFU and stop drafting in the rain :P

+2 Eloquently put.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think it's just a fashion thing. When I was a kid in the 70s I'd say the majority of bikes had them, the exception being racers which had 12" long (and I imagine useless) mudguards around each brake caliper. The fact that most modern bikes sold as hybrids or commuters don't have them is ludicrous.

I can't understand folk who ride in the wet without them, they must get soaked.

One thing I would like is the ability to fit proper mudguards to my full suspension mtb, I've yet to see a product that'd work so I'm using crud catchers.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    I can't understand folk who ride in the wet without them, they must get soaked.

Pssstt - mudguards don't keep you dry in the rain...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A