MTB Spd Shoes

barrybarryr
barrybarryr Posts: 44
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a mountain bike that has Crank Bros Candy C pedals on it.

What SPD shoes would anyone recommend?

I've never used SPD's so I have no idea.

Thanks

Barry

Comments

• You can probably get some shimano ones for £30-40 online if this is your first go at spd's.

You can get any and just put Crank Bros clets on, i bought a pair of shimano for £15 from halfords, reduced from £65, was a few months ago now.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • Brilliant thats great.

I'll have a look around.

Are any make better than any other?
  • Im really happy with mine, you'll have to see what others have to say or do a search of old topics.

What bike is it?
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • Depends what you'll be using them for.

I've got some Gaerne winter boots similar to these, but an older model. They don't get good reviews, but I can't fault them, waterproof and warm, absolutely love them.

Also got a pair of Sidi shoes like these which are good, but stiff soled race shoes so not very comfy for walking.
  • I have these, not sure on compatability with the cleat fittings tho, but they work with shimano ones ok..

They are really comfey and once dirty the white dosent look so "in your face" ..
  • ali$tair wrote:
    What bike is it?

It's a Charge Duster.
    I have these, not sure on compatability with the cleat fittings tho, but they work with shimano ones ok..

They are really comfey and once dirty the white dosent look so "in your face" ..

Which ones do you have?

I'll be using them all year round for trails and commuting.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I've always used Shimano shoes myself until recently I was meeting up for a ride and realised I'd left my shoes at home, went to the nearest mtb shop and picked up a pair of Bontrager RL Mountain (the black ones!).

http://bontrager.com/model/07810

So comfortable, best mtb shoes I've ever had.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • The DHB ones from wiggle get decent reviews. Mine were £50 IIRC...
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    It may be advisable to pay your LBS a visit and have a look at what shoes they have in stock there. Then you can try on a range and see what fits, like all shoes it's very hard to tell if a spd shoe will fit you over the internet.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity