New front brake required

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Need to replace front brake, what reach is this?

brake.jpg

Is this suitable? Bike has campag veloce shifters

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360037370/

also need new inner, are shimano/campag inners the same diameter? I guess the stub at the end are different?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• any help wanna order these today. Are the R650 57mm brakes ok?
  • I think the 650 are aimed to be used with 650 rims and not 700. I'm not sure the amount of vertical adjustment on the pads will be enough to compensate for that. To be safe, I would buy brakes aimed for 700 rims.

As for the cables... if you change the inner, you better change the outer as well. I normally buy the cheap K:ble stuff and I find them valid
    left the forum March 2023
  • Short reach calipers are no good, as there is a gap between the tyre and brake inside (plenty of clearence for mudguard)
  • Ok,

after a quick search... it will work... look here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

The Randonneur 105 has those brakes on 700 wheels. It looks like they're made for guards, rather than for smaller rims...
    left the forum March 2023
  • brake2.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Your brake is fine. The problem is that the wheel is missing :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    any help wanna order these today. Are the R650 57mm brakes ok?

yip... should be
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I think the 650 are aimed to be used with 650 rims and not 700. I'm not sure the amount of vertical adjustment on the pads will be enough to compensate for that. To be safe, I would buy brakes aimed for 700 rims.

I think this is incorrect.

The Shimano R450 and R650 long drop brakes are for bikes with enough clearance for mudguards... the wheel size is irrelevant, what counts is the distance between the fixing bolt and the rim.

If ithe rim is beterrn 47 - 57mm, from the pivot bolt then the the R450 or R650 are fine, less than that and you use a standard drop caliper.

The R450 / R650 designations are a bit like 105 / ultergra quality IIRC. I went for the R450 on my winter fixed rebuild