Exmoor Cycle Route. Where do I start from in Minehead?

Redsteveb
Redsteveb Posts: 201
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Looking to do the 60 mile Exmoor Cycle Route on Saturday with a couple of mates.

Driving down from Bristol, I've seen that the recommended starting point is in Minehead, but where exactly are we heading for? Is there somewhere nearby that I can park the car for the day?

Anyone ridden it that can help, otherwise I can see us driving round for ages trying to find the start of the route.

Cheers, Steve.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I haven't ridden that specific route but have ridden lots around there. There's quite a lot of climbing involved but fantastic scenary. I was there last week (went Minehead-Porlock-Wheddon Cross and then down through Dunster) and it did surprise me how busy it was at this time of year but "busy" is a very relative term (when compared to Bristol) and if you drive around there is loads of free roadside parking.

As for the parking location, I would say that depends on how literal you want to be on sticking to the route. There are a few car parks on the seafront (just follow the signs to Butlins or the seafront). Park up, head into town (away from Butlins) and then follow the signs to Porlock.

Don't forget your £1 for the toll on Porlock Hill. Boy, what a lovely climb that is. Spintastic, unlike the hill out of Lynmouth, which I haven't dared to do yet but will have to face on the Beast next month.

Enjoy your ride.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    I thought the Porlock toll was only on the old road (New Road?)? I don't think there's a toll on the A39 which is the way that route seems to go and which is probably steeper than the road out of Lynmouth!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Pross wrote:
    I thought the Porlock toll was only on the old road (New Road?)? I don't think there's a toll on the A39 which is the way that route seems to go and which is probably steeper than the road out of Lynmouth!

Yes, fair point and you are correct. I skimmed a look at the route and assumed that one would be avoiding the old hill road.

Fwiw, the toll road has been recently resurfaced and well worth a Pound, IMO.