threadlock?

Koiler
Koiler Posts: 513
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
does anyone know if/ where you can buy the plasticy type threadlock to put on the ends of bolts etc?

looking for something to use on rear suspension mounting bolts and maybe rotor bolts etc and im not really sure whats good and whats not! anyone got any experience with this stuff?

Comments

• You want Loctite Lock n Seal. Preferably a medium or low strength version. I have used Loctite 242 (which is blue) with good results, I believe 243 is the newer version.

Try searching for Lock n Seal on Amazon.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    8060_8065_561_268_248_loctite_sticks.jpg

Halfords.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Preferably a medium or low strength version.

^^This

Normally you don't need anything more than the Blue, in fact some rotor bolts come ready coated...If you use the high strength version on a small bolt you may never get it undone again without damage

Another tip mentioned a while ago was to use nail varnish instead :shock:
    Maybe to colour match your bike :lol: Orange anyone ??
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I often use nail varnish but more often for putting a mark on the head of a bolt and what it is against to check for it coming lose (not on bikes). I also use it over bonded joints as a crack in nail varnish will be a lot easier to spot in the bond moves.

Those sticks are a great idea. I hate squeezy tubes of loctite. You always end up chucking half the tube away.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    242 is a toolkit essential IMO
  • halfords do the stick type
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • most wholesalers/diy places should have hermatite nut lock, small pot, but only need a little bit!

superglue can be used too if desperate!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    cool, cheers guys

just popped to halfords and am now in possession on a stick of blue 248.

now i need to find something to take apart and put back together again....