Mini stands

dmch2
dmch2 Posts: 731
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Has anyone used a mini workstand? They clamp round the seat and chainstay to lift the rear wheel and the front rests on the ground.

Are they any good?

Edinburgh cycle collective do one for 18 quid which is rather nearer my budget than £100 for one that lifts the whole bike up. It'll also double as a stand so my bike doesn't balance against a load of others against the wall.
2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    lidl have just had an offer on - £30 for a proper stand....
  • Hi dmch2.

Living around the corner from ECC I got one of those stands ages ago. Great for minor fettling that requires the bike upright / wheel off ground / cranks turning - particularly fine tuning the derailleurs. Good for the purposes of keeping bikes leaning against the walls too and also a nice stand for taking hands free upright photos of your pride and joy(s) - see links below.

It copes with all my bikes including the rather weighty tourer.

Front wheel has a habit of flopping but that can be cured with a bit of wood or whatever up front.

Recommended but not as a substitute for a full-blown workstand.
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact
  • I have a Tacx Flashstand (£25 from wiggle) that does exactly what you state.

Great for minor fettling of gears and general cleaning, not so great when force needs to be applied to the bike (torquing up bolts or similar) as it can over-balance.

But all in an ideal item for those quick maintenance jobs, or to chuck in the back of the car when taking your bike out somewhere!
    --
    Chris

Road ride: Univega Via Laser
  • It's useful...

I use it for most jobs, from washing the bike, to fiddling with gears, brakes, cables, bar tape etc. etc....

There
    left the forum March 2023
  • dmch2
    So apart from torquing up big things it'll be fine. Cool :)

To be honest I don't think I'd trust even a full workstand to take a big load through it - they never seem that stable when I've prodded them in a shop. I'd get an assistant to hold the bike upright and leave it on the ground.
  • dmch2 wrote:
    To be honest I don't think I'd trust even a full workstand to take a big load through it - they never seem that stable when I've prodded them in a shop.

Probably more to do with the surface they're mounted on. Bolt them to a levelled concrete floor and you're laughing
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact
  • dmch2
    dmch2 wrote:
    To be honest I don't think I'd trust even a full workstand to take a big load through it - they never seem that stable when I've prodded them in a shop.

Probably more to do with the surface they're mounted on. Bolt them to a levelled concrete floor and you're laughing

I've not got enough garage space for that!