What Winter Hack?

leejdavies
leejdavies Posts: 217
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
As the nights are starting to draw and the crud guards go on I have thought about getting a winter hack for commuting. Any suggestions? I have been looking on eBay for an old steel frameset and have noticed differing rear wheel widths?

I have a new set of Fulcrum 7's ready to go so will it be a waste of money getting an old frame. Will they fit regardless? And will be fitting all the old kit I've upgraded from my current bike.

Or is it a case of getting a cheap ribble-esque frameset I'm guessing new is easier, old is 'cooler' (I like the old steel lugged frames)

Any help is much appreciated.
Up: Wilier Mortirolo
Down: Orange Patriot

Comments

• Rear width spacing for modern stuff is 130 mm so that's what fits your Fulcrums. You might be able to get away with 126 mm and just hand spread the rear drop outs when you insert the wheel (if the frame is steel). An older 120 mm rear spacing might be more difficult and might require some cold setting to permanently get it to 130 mm or close enough so you could pull it apart with your hands.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    on - one are selling a fixed pompino for £400, whicg is a bargin

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPMPRS/o ... road-sport
  • I like the idea of singlespeed/fixed for low maintenance, but aren't they just slower?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dazzawazza wrote:
    I like the idea of singlespeed/fixed for low maintenance, but aren't they just slower?

Only if you cycle uphill, downhill, or on the flat.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • I'm expecting to be banned from this site any minute. :wink:
  • moonshine
    dazzawazza wrote:
    I like the idea of singlespeed/fixed for low maintenance, but aren't they just slower?

Fixed is a lovely way to ride.... Takes a bit of getting used to.

Beautifully silent.... its not slow...I generally give my club mates a doing on the hills ( going up), they tend to drop me on the descents... so i now don't wait for them at the top. I just let them catch up...

on the flat i can sit in the bunch at 21mph comfy, but as speeds risse to 24 / 25mph, it is hard work, but great training....

minimal maintenence
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Yeah - this is an interesting dilemma. I'm currently contemplating a "cheap" road bike such as a Specialized Allez with gears or a Pearson Touche without. I can't decide whether the fun of having gears is compensated by the consumables/maintenance. But these are two I was thinking about....
  • moonshine
    the prospect of riding fixed can be intimidating at first...but once you get it into your head that you can get up the hills in your area, it is erally enjoyable. Actually descents are the hardest part of riding fixed.

I would recommend it, but it is not for everyone. My GF rode my commuter Singlespeed for a bit and enjoyed it, but went for a geared commuter (trek 1.2) when she got her day yo day bile to go alonside her PX pro carbon.

I'm riding it now for 3 winters & really like it - just chose an apporpriate gear - ( i ride 42x16 = 71")
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Got the Allez for exactly this purpose although I wince at the word hack.
    I dont get the idea that is banded about that fixed gear bikes are somehow 'maintenance free' and also the other banded notion that they also 'somehow' silent.
    I've a properly setup bike and the drivetrain is also near as dammit sweetly silent... just a mere hum if I ever get to hear it over the
    road surface disintegrating noise that we have to contend with
    the traffic
    the wind
    the rain..
    need I go on?
    I also like to keep the bike clean and the obvious mechanical bits up to purpose... it is not a chore and the bike has been out every day for over a fortnight and has another 6 months to go before the carbon bike has a 'sniff' of fresh air.
    No shame in needing gears.
  • I'm seriously considering a pompetamine versa or versa pro as a winter hack...
  • moonshine
    I'm seriously considering a pompetamine versa or versa pro as a winter hack...

they look really good too
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    All this talk about winter hacks.....i clearly need to get this 'have lots of bikes' bug.
    If only the other half would understand me spending all this money on bikes just for my pleasure and enjoyment.
    Right suppose then that you can only have one bike (this is in reality what i am facing).
    I will clearly ride it more in summer but want to also ride in the winter on the better days.(not in snow or ice and do not commute to work on it)
    My cycling includes roads and gravel paths and doing rides of anything between 1-100 miles. I am purely cycling for my own fitness and enjoyment of it.
    I am currently being swayed down the on-one pompetamine route http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETV ... mine-versa
    So would this be a decent all year round bike for road / gravel paths ? Remember i can only have one bike - unless the missus does a major u turn which is doubtful.
    There are just too many bikes out there for someone as indecisive as me.