Assos Airjack 851 jacket

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a replacement for my winter jacket, with lots of broken zips.

Is the Assos worth the money? I mean, I'm looking for big solid zips that will last a few years. Also, they need to be big enough that I can hold them while wearing winter gloves.

As for the textiles, I assume it's going to be top notch... I expect no less for that price.

Also, any opinion on the Rapha Soft Shell? Any better, or just pricier?

Can you tell I got a pay rise? :lol:
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm fortunate enough to have both. Both excellent imo but poss. the 851 for going colder. The Rapha is probably better at slightly higher temp but it depends on the climate and how hard you are working. Both equally well made.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    I'm fortunate enough to have both. Both excellent imo but poss. the 851 for going colder. The Rapha is probably better at slightly higher temp but it depends on the climate and how hard you are working. Both equally well made.

Are the zips big enough to be handled with thick gloves? my jacket wasn't bad, but it was impossible to lower the zip with the thick gloves on

I am looking at something properly wintery, that won't make me freeze to death whilst waiting for someone to fix a puncture... so maybe Assos more suited?
  • I'm considering it too but really like the fit of the Gore Phantom II which is also cheaper than the Assos
  • I posted in the winter jacket thread to say I'd take a Gore WS over it any day, having owned one.

It IS great, but it's not greater at the same price let alone the expensive one.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    I prefer Etxeondo winter jackets. Understated looks but excellent quality and performance.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2775

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Are the zips big enough to be handled with thick gloves? my jacket wasn't bad, but it was impossible to lower the zip with the thick gloves on

Zip is quite substantial, should not be a problem.
    I am looking at something properly wintery, that won't make me freeze to death whilst waiting for someone to fix a puncture... so maybe Assos more suited?

Toasty warm. I used an 851 all last winter with just a lightweight long sleeve base layer underneath (and I am a tall skinny guy with hardly any body fat to keep me warm) and i was never cold. I noticed that Surosa cycles are / were selling off the 851 ltd ed version for about £130 which is a total bargain.

Its an expensive top but remarkably effective, just chuck a cheapo fold up waterproof (montane velo) in one of the back pockets in case of rain.
  • I posted in the winter jacket thread to say I'd take a Gore WS over it any day, having owned one.

It IS great, but it's not greater at the same price let alone the expensive one.
    How about the zips? I'm obsessed by them... they need to be big and solid and I can't see them from the retailer's webpage
  • derosa wrote:
    I prefer Etxeondo winter jackets. Understated looks but excellent quality and performance.

That is a belter. Really betwen that and the Gore for me.

How about the zips? I'm obsessed by them... they need to be big and solid and I can't see them from the retailer's webpage

Gore zips are excellent.

Assos ones are but I did find myself struggling to put the bit into the bit at the bottom resulting in some not zipping up properly moments.

Gore zips are excellent.

Assos ones are but I did find myself struggling to put the bit into the bit at the bottom resulting in some not zipping up properly moments.

You got me interested now... warm enough? size? I am 5 foot 10, 71 Kg, about 80 cm waist... very normal really, I am generally a medium (occasionally a small)... medium with Pearl Izumi, small with DHB
  • cedar404 wrote:
    Are the zips big enough to be handled with thick gloves? my jacket wasn't bad, but it was impossible to lower the zip with the thick gloves on

Toasty warm. I used an 851 all last winter with just a lightweight long sleeve base layer underneath (and I am a tall skinny guy with hardly any body fat to keep me warm) and i was never cold. I noticed that Surosa cycles are / were selling off the 851 ltd ed version for about £130 which is a total bargain.

Its an expensive top but remarkably effective, just chuck a cheapo fold up waterproof (montane velo) in one of the back pockets in case of rain.

they were... sadly
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've had one of the Ltd Airjack 851s for about 18 months now and it's just brilliant. It's everything Assos says it is, insulating warmness, quality zip, and great fit. Proper zip garage too. Class!
  • derosa
    derosa wrote:

That is a belter. Really betwen that and the Gore for me.

The zips on the Etxeondo jackets are YKK. The jacket will give out before the zip does.

Big H

• giant_man
    I also like the look of the Exteondo stuff, that new Abaraska jacket does look good, whether its as warm as the 851 who knows? Anyone got one?
  • derosa
    I also like the look of the Exteondo stuff, that new Abaraska jacket does look good, whether its as warm as the 851 who knows? Anyone got one?

Me :wink:

Big H

• You got me interested now... warm enough? size? I am 5 foot 10, 71 Kg, about 80 cm waist... very normal really, I am generally a medium (occasionally a small)... medium with Pearl Izumi, small with DHB

The Cosmo is listed as being T4 (Gore's words) which is listed as being for temps down to minus 2.

http://www.tgstore.net/cosmo-jacket-p-1817.html

I'd imagine with sensible baselayering you'd get beyond that.
  • giant_man
    derosa wrote:

and ...... ? give us a review then, with some piccies :wink:
  • cedar404 wrote:

Top man, you saved me 60 pounds...

I've just ordered the last one they have at 129.99 double chacked at the phone and it should have my name on!

I owe you a favour, I'll rebuild your wheels if you need!

Thanks everyone for your contributions, really appreciated
  • derosa
    derosa wrote:

Blimey!
    Only had the jacket a week and it's been too mild to use it in anger yet. Lovely piece of kit though. Fit is better than my 851 jacket - have never been keen on the neck of the 851 - and should be comparable for warmth, but won't be certain until used in anger.

Big H

• sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    derosa wrote:
    derosa wrote:

Blimey!
    Only had the jacket a week and it's been too mild to use it in anger yet. Lovely piece of kit though. Fit is better than my 851 jacket - have never been keen on the neck of the 851 - and should be comparable for warmth, but won't be certain until used in anger.

You said excellent quality and performance? Maybe report back in February when its been used and abused :D
    I like white bikes
  • derosa
    sundog wrote:
    derosa wrote:
    derosa wrote:

Blimey!

You said excellent quality and performance? Maybe report back in February when its been used and abused :D

Maybe I was talking about Etxeondo jackets in general - Like the Due jacket I used all last winter http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2568

Big H

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have 851 and rapha jacket. The rapha is a much better fit for me but the assos feels much hardier. More inclined to wear the rapha out and about rather than cycling!

Only thing about the assos is that I found the 851 in particular to fit rather smaller than expected - especially when in coldest darkest winter you may want to wear more than one layer. Important to try on before buying would be my suggestion.

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    I have 851 and rapha jacket. The rapha is a much better fit for me but the assos feels much hardier. More inclined to wear the rapha out and about rather than cycling!

Only thing about the assos is that I found the 851 in particular to fit rather smaller than expected - especially when in coldest darkest winter you may want to wear more than one layer. Important to try on before buying would be my suggestion.

Peter

I went for the last they had at reduced price (129 instead of nearly 200), it's a medium and it should be spot on for me, according to their chart and to some reviews I have read... worst case scenario I'll have to send it back...

The Rapha one is probably a bit too pricey, especially as you can't buy it discounted anywhere
  • <thread hijack>

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on the rapha softshell - it fits perfectly, while Im "between sizes" on the assos 851 which was my first choice. My only issue is that I much prefer the look of the black over the red, but it does seem very stealthy. Im worried that it may be a good suicide suit - totally invisible to other road users - on a bike on an overcast day or at night.

Is it as bad as looks in the mirror in the shop?

jon
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited September 2010
    I have the following, though just sold some (purely down to having a storage issue!):

Assos 851 airjack - superb, brilliant, close fitting
    Etxeondo winter jacket - bombproof materials/build. Luxury.
    Giordana body clone E612 - warm, well made, great all rounder
    Gore Countdown WS - yellow, brilliant commuter, no fuss
    Gore Phantom 2: best choice for one "do it all" WS. Works for any ride!

Assos Climajet - both the gilet and the long sleeved breaker. My carry everywhere rain cape. Always have one unless the Zero is out... Gilet in summer, LS rest of year.
    Assos Element Zero - The gilet for anything but rainy days.

Assos Luftschutz - use it for cold starts and hilly courses.
    Montaine Featherlite - superb shower jacket, and commuter cape.

As for reviews, and opinions, I like them all. I could keep them all and would use them all. They all have different strengths. I would recommend any of them unreservedly.
    Bike gear is so good these days that any option will work. For me, the extra £ normally gets you a better cut, and longevity, but a fair amount of "pay for the name".

Sometimes, it is just about the colour, and having something to match!
  • giant_man
    northpole wrote:

Peter

I went for the last they had at reduced price (129 instead of nearly 200), it's a medium and it should be spot on for me, according to their chart and to some reviews I have read... worst case scenario I'll have to send it back...

The Rapha one is probably a bit too pricey, especially as you can't buy it discounted anywhere
    Well they're definitely a race fit, but you want it to be snug really so depending on your size should be ok. Mine's a Med also, and it's fine on my slim frame.
  • northpole wrote:

Peter

Well they're definitely a race fit, but you want it to be snug really so depending on your size should be ok. Mine's a Med also, and it's fine on my slim frame.

Just received it... Definitively a race tight fit... feels good though... and the zip looks robust... certainly not one to wear to go out, or people will think I'm wearing a wetsuit
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have had the 851 fo the last 4 winters. Does exactly what it says and with a good winter base layer it can be worn all through a cold scottish winter. Mines still looks great.

I also have the element one jacket for the slighty warmer winter weather. I was so impressed with the 851 that virtually all my cycling tops/shorts are all Assos now. Just dont let my better half the price of each garment.
    Brian B.
  • giant_man
    Airjack 851 - winter

Element One - autumn