Ultimate Spec....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Aside the bikes I have, which are all my ultimate bike: What would you spec for your ultimate build geared bike:

Mine would be quite simple and classic with modern upgrades:

Reynolds 531 SL or 531 Pro frame - I like the feel of SL.

Dura Ace 7700 9 speed setup with the then rare STI levers (never got used to 10 speed, always felt a little odd to me, like I could not find a "comfy" gear.

Cinelli bars stem and seatpost in a more classic look/finish

Mavic cosmic carbone wheels

Love to tool about on that! And I may have the very bike soon!

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i am currently lusting after a Santa Cruz Carbon Nomad....with a Fox 36 Float on the front, a DHX AIR 5.0 at the back, a set of carbon fulcrum reds, SRAM 2x10 XX transmission, and Saint brakes.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'd be happy to spec my current SuperSix Hi-mod up to the standard it deserves instead of the bargain basement special offer stuff it inexplicably (but cheaply) came with.

Some nice, extremely light alu clinchers for climbing and descending. SRAM Red or SuperRecord groupset (current Shimano experience has put me off for life, unfortunately). And that's about it, really. I'm not enough of a weight weenie to care too much about carbon bars/stem, etc. Wouldn't mind some Speedplay Zero pedals, though.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I am currently looking into having a custom built jobbie from Chas Roberts; Reynolds 853OS.

I like 7 speed cassettes 13-21, more reliable, less finiticky and longer lasting.

...and of course bar ends 8)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    A totally ace Roberts Audax like in C+ around August 2008. But I'd have 853 as 953 is probably a bit harsh.

Or a really nicely Campag'ed Colnago Master steelie.

Or a Ti.

Or all 3! 8)

I don't really "do" Carbon bikes, not my cup of tea, I like frames that go 'ping' when you tap them!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I am currently looking into having a custom built jobbie from Chas Roberts; Reynolds 853OS.

I like 7 speed cassettes 13-21, more reliable, less finiticky and longer lasting.

...and of course bar ends 8)

Mmm....yes....oh, definitely...yes....wait a minute, bar ends? Have you taken leave of your senses man?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I like the sound of that bike GTV.

I'm toying with the idea of a Ti frame, I've been looking at Justin "Burls" Ti frames which look great and seem really good value for money, I'd probably put an Ultegra groupset on it - not sure about the wheels yet - maybe next year.

As a kid of 9 or 10 I spent a bit of time in Overbury's and dreaming of having a top end road bike, the 531 frames were the business and Campag Record was my ultimate favourite goupset then. If I could have a third bike, it would definitely be a Reynold's frame with Campag.

Some of the brands I loved were Moser, Peugeot, Gitane and being in Bristol, a number of some great Argos bikes were to be seen around.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mmm....yes....oh, definitely...yes....wait a minute, bar ends? Have you taken leave of your senses man?

Bar ends are for passing posers on hills :wink:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Joelle is alreay well overspecced for my abilities to start thinking of any higher spec.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)