105 front shifter problems

errorist
errorist Posts: 169
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Halfway home last night I attempted to shift down from the big ring and noticed the lever was very stiff. Being rather stubborn I just pressed the lever harder and harder until with a loud ping it shifted down to the small ring. When I next attempted to shift back up I was able to move the chain however the indexing seems to have disappeared so the mech just springs back to its resting point over the small ring.

Whilst I didn’t mind practising high cadence cycling for half my journey home I don’t fancy it every day! Anyone got any idea how I might fix this?

Thanks!

Comments

• rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    The only thing that comes to mind is that Shimano 105 were coming out faulty earlier on this year and even last year. I bought a pair and the left shifter broke while I was fixing them to the bike. I asked my LBS about it and he said "we have exchanged under shimano warranty over 100 in the last 6 months" Something wrong with the manufacturing process. So, I would suggest you replace it with a non 105...... by the way, shimano shifters cannot be repaired.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    105 shifters = dodgy. My left shifter has given me constant problems. Shimano are aware of the issue and have done nothing about it. Criminal, IMO.
  • I got my 105 front shifter replaced under warranty without any paperwork.

just paid for labour.

take it to a decent bikeshop.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Errorist wrote:
    Halfway home last night I attempted to shift down from the big ring and noticed the lever was very stiff. Being rather stubborn I just pressed the lever harder and harder until with a loud ping it shifted down to the small ring. When I next attempted to shift back up I was able to move the chain however the indexing seems to have disappeared so the mech just springs back to its resting point over the small ring.

Whilst I didn’t mind practising high cadence cycling for half my journey home I don’t fancy it every day! Anyone got any idea how I might fix this?

Thanks!
    I had exactly the same problem with mine - found myself stuck in the big ring at the bottom of a hill. I wasn't able to push the lever hard enough to make it shift but my other half applied a lot of pressure and it shifted with a loud ping/snapping sound.

I read about other people's problem with the left shifter on here so had planned to take mine back to the LBS for replacement. However, since that one incident, which was 5-6 months ago, I've had no problems whatsoever with the shifter, so I've not taken it back.
  • Before criminalising Shimano, have you actually checked the tension in the cable?

All sorts of bad behaviours are due to slack cables.

If the tension is correct and, as you say, there is no shifting action, then return to the shop, otherwise all you need to do is to retension the cable. it takes about 30 seconds
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the advice everyone.

Tried retensioning the cable to no avail so I guess it must be a faulty shifter.

Off to my LBS I spose.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Before criminalising Shimano, have you actually checked the tension in the cable?

All sorts of bad behaviours are due to slack cables.

If the tension is correct and, as you say, there is no shifting action, then return to the shop, otherwise all you need to do is to retension the cable. it takes about 30 seconds

It's been back to the shop three times already, so I'm fairly sure it's not the cables.

The fact they know there's a huge problem with the 105 LH shifters but have failed to recall them is sharp practice, if you ask me. It's definitely put me off Shimano products.
  • My left hand 2009 gun metal 105 only works when it feels like it too. Bit annoying on a £1500 bike...Campag or Sram for me next time. Vote with your wallet I say..
  • I've never had a problem with 105 (2006 version) and Tiagra (2009). But compared to mid range Campagnolo, they are on the cheap side. The cables need frequent retensioning (especially the 10 speed rear) and parts wear quickly.

I recommend Campagnolo all the way... it costs a little more, but lasts longer, so all in all you probably save money. Veloce is a good enough groupset for any requirement, from recreational cycling to low budget racing.
    left the forum March 2023
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My left hand 2009 gun metal 105 only works when it feels like it too. Bit annoying on a £1500 bike...Campag or Sram for me next time. Vote with your wallet I say..

Anyone can make a mistake, I run a website for older BMWs and you should see some of the design failures on the newer cars! The big test is what the manufacturer does about the problem.

For the record my 105 shifters are fine, maybe because I run a triple? Most of the failures I've read about have been on doubles.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!