Helmet chin strap

DCowling
DCowling Posts: 769
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
sometimes when on a long ride, the sweat buils up in the chin strap of my helmet and after a while ( especially if recently shaved) the salt in my sweat stings like boogery, to date the only solution I have found is to either undo the strap or stop and try to swill it out with my water ( not ideal as this should be going in me)
Is there anyone else who has this and is there a solution or is it a case of put up and shut up

Comments

• dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    How tight do you have it?
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • It is not the tightness, I can get my fingers between the strap and chin. It just becomes saturated in sweat then stings like hell because of the salt
  • Yup, can happen if your skin is sensitive after shaving etc.

I never have a close shave before cycling (or sport in general). I often have a quick run over it with the electric, and leave it as that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wouldnt you be sweating in that area anyway ? So it cant just be the salt thing ?

I'd loosen the strap off a bit and see if that makes a difference. If you're panting hard - the helmet will be tighter on you ?
  • I suffer from a similar problem and just don't shave the morning before going for a ride that seems to do the trick for me