Qr pedals?

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Quick%20Detach%20Pedal%20Axle%20System.jpg

interestingish....
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Erm, okay, but surely the benefit of these would be less theft potential, but the sort of bikes they would be on wouldnt be the ones being stolen???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist! :roll:
  • Could be handy for quick swapping between spd and non spd style pedals...
  • weescott wrote:
    Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist! :roll:

folding bikes?
  • weescott wrote:

folding bikes?

pretty much yes, another great example
  • I really see no point in those. Not once on a trail did i stop and think, hmmm i really want to switch pedals. I can see their meaning, but the practical advantages are slim to none.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Could be handy for quick swapping between spd and non spd style pedals...

thats not really something you need to do quickly enough to necessetate QR pedals though.
  • weescott wrote:

Storing your commuter bike in a small property?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Samll market. Hopefully for them, larger than the one I am imagining.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not an MTB thing really, but I can see the logic for some users, as SS has said, the market will be small (folders or those who store a bike in a house would be the first ones to aim at), but is it big enough? If I was a Dragon for that reason I'd be out!

If they can get a folding manufacturer to specify them as OE, then maybe it has a chance, and being made by VP I guess means the cost of all the parts common with their other pedals can be kept very low.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • weescott wrote:

folding bikes?

You won't fit a non folding bike neatly in the luggage space on a part ride/part train commute, unlike the convenience of a Brompton in that same situation.

So not sure I see your point? :?
  • weescott wrote:

Those Japanese that live in pods and sleep with their folding bikes and wish they had an extra 6" of space will be delighted.
  • weescott wrote:

I would like them, but i'm one of those weirdos who likes both SPDs and Flats and regularly changes between the two.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    weescott wrote:

That's a damn small property if there's not even space for two pedals...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I see disastrous crashes if those were ever used in anger on an MTB.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080

That was my first thought too..... Id never trust them!
  • Ezzy already do them:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-10-39749

I have (well had) some of the spd style ones on my commuter. Yes they are faster and more convenient but they aren't quite as good as my old pedals for riding (in terms of float and comfort) and they got scratched up pretty easily.

Good for people who need to change pedals where they don't have tools around and for security concious people (although now they are quick release its another thing to remove every time) but in the end I decided that it didn't take that long to change regular pedals with a pedal spanner.
  • The pedals get in the way when mounting the bikes on a bike rack over the boot - especially if I'm racking two bikes. When laying them down in the boot, if the cranks aren't facing the right way a bike can stick it's ass up in the air.
    I'd be interested as I could see packing the bike into /onto a car a bit easier. I rarely go from the front door so am always having to negotiate pedals and bodywork.
  • *AJ* wrote:

That was my first thought too..... Id never trust them!

I can just imagine doing a xc race and clipping a stump or something and the pedal flying off in to the bushes...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You can already get folding pedals if it's a space issue.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Well most of us have quick release wheels and surely if we all had bolt up ones and someone came along with a QR skewer people would have the same reaction as this.

Until I see one in the flesh I will reserve final judgement but there is a lot of QR fittings out there that are used in much more life and death situations than pedals.

I would like to see a definite fail safe feature though - they may have one but can't tell from that until you try. the pushing both buttons in at the same time may be enough as the spring action might be separate.
  • Anonymous
    Andy! wrote:
    Well most of us have quick release wheels and surely if we all had bolt up ones and someone came along with a QR skewer people would have the same reaction as this.

Until I see one in the flesh I will reserve final judgement but there is a lot of QR fittings out there that are used in much more life and death situations than pedals.
    Thing is, on a wheel, a QR skewer is not really a load bearing item. The wheel's weight is taken by the droputs.
    I'd like to know what other "life and death" things you can think of attatched by QR.
  • Andy!
    Andy! wrote:

Thing is, on a wheel, a QR skewer is not really a load bearing item. The wheel's weight is taken by the droputs.
    I'd like to know what other "life and death" things you can think of attatched by QR.

They still used to fall out until the extra tabs were added.

As for examples on non-bolted "quick release" designs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_wing

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24823

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/teams-and- ... ed-in-half

http://bmueller-solutions.com/#/aircraf ... 4535538503

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzus_fastener

and so on...
  • I can just imagine doing a xc race...

...And then I wake up in a terrible cold sweat... :)

But yeah, agree with most on here, seems like a solution (to a non-problem) bound to come unstuck at a critical time!
  • Anonymous
    Andy! wrote:
    They still used to fall out until the extra tabs were added.
    Actually, I believe the tabs, or "lawyer's lips" were added because disc brakes can cause wheels to slide downwards in the dropouts
    Andy! wrote:
    That's all well and good, but they're hardly quick release designs.
    The rotor in a power station's generator can be taken out, but it doesn;t mean it's a quick release. Hell, the normal pedals off a bike can be removed quickly, but that doesn't make them quick release.
  • Andy!
    Actually, I believe the tabs, or "lawyer's lips" were added because disc brakes can cause wheels to slide downwards in the dropouts

That's all well and good, but they're hardly quick release designs.
    The rotor in a power station's generator can be taken out, but it doesn;t mean it's a quick release. Hell, the normal pedals off a bike can be removed quickly, but that doesn't make them quick release.

For lawyer lips: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_l.html

Seems to have more to do with people using those fancy H*** ;) style skewers than the nice reliable shimano cam ones :D

As for my examples - all quick release as far as I am concerned. QR comes in all shapes and sizes. My main issue with these pedals is the possibility of added flex due to the unavoidable play in the little catches.

in situations like a Dzus fastener it can be more secure than a bolt which can come undone. Not sure I would want to be the red arrows pilot following the one with the fairing that falls off because a screw came undone :shock:
  • Firstly there needs to be a standard for this concept to succeed
    The last thing we need are various "standard designs" like QR15 and 20mm Maxle we see on forks. The manufacturers need to collaborate if this were ever to take off

A mate of mine thinks it's an excellent idea, he needs to remove pedals to get two bikes to fit on his boot mounted bike carrier. I however don't quite see the need for it.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    The attachment just doesn't look very secure, and the force you'd be applying to it is perpendicular to the mechanism so the comparison with QR wheels doesn't really hold up IMO.

For space saving, the folding ones that already exist would be better. For swapping between bikes I'd think that the advantages over a pedal spanner would be outweighed by the compromises to the pedal itself, given it's hard to imagine anyone needing to swap all that frequently.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Andy! wrote:

Yeah but the vast majority of people remove they're wheels far more often than they do their pedals. So having a quick release wheel would make sense. But quick release pedals......

I can't see the point to be honest, not now that axles have allen key holes at the end of them so that they can be undone with pretty much every multi tool in the world in 10 seconds. And if you only have one set of pedals for more than one bike and have to keep changing them over, buy another set of pedals ya cheap feckers!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    my brain hurts