Are Sky Jerseys the new football jerseys ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
Noticed that Sky have changed from blue and black to green and black during The TOB. Isn't that a bit 5hitty for all the people who have bought the original kit and them Sky change it in the same season ? Is this going the way of multiple football tops that take the pi55 out of fans ? Any sky kit owners out there a bit peeved, come on and vent your spleen. :wink:

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    Discovery did it in 2007 didn't they?

Same - from blue to green.
  • Anonymous
    Does this mean that green could be faster and have better tactical awareness than blue ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    Err, yes?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    well if you read the website you'll see that its ment to only be a temporary thing whilst the whole company (SKY) promote their rainforest rescue campaign so jerseys should be switching back to blue now TOB is finished.

Although saving the rainforest is going to take longer than 1 week!
  • Anonymous
    Ollieda wrote:
    well if you read the website you'll see that its ment to only be a temporary thing whilst the whole company (SKY) promote their rainforest rescue campaign so jerseys should be switching back to blue now TOB is finished.

Although saving the rainforest is going to take longer than 1 week!

hee hee, i think you typed that first part in a squeaky, annoyed stylee. Right on, bro... :roll:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    Wouldn't hurt people to check out the facts before moaning though would it? It was pretty well publicised at the time including on this site. As far as I'm aware the only way people will get a chance to buy the green kit is by buying it in the charity auction. The blue and black are Sky's corporate colours so can't see them changing it permanently any time soon. But hey, it's Sky therefore some people have to criticise no matter what they do.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Green is better than the blue imo, should switch colours permanently imo ...
  • Anonymous
    Pross wrote:
    Wouldn't hurt people to check out the facts before moaning though would it? It was pretty well publicised at the time including on this site. As far as I'm aware the only way people will get a chance to buy the green kit is by buying it in the charity auction. The blue and black are Sky's corporate colours so can't see them changing it permanently any time soon. But hey, it's Sky therefore some people have to criticise no matter what they do.

Your opinion just doesn't matter to me to be honest, get off the bandwagon. :roll:
  • What about Cervelo? They have changed their kit for the last two years for the Tour!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    and what about Once ? they used to change from an all yellow to all pink kit just cos someone else was already using yellow jerseys in the tour :roll:

I wouldn't buy current team jerseys for this kind of reason
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Pross wrote:

Well said
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    edhornby wrote:
    and what about Once ? they used to change from an all yellow to all pink kit just cos someone else was already using yellow jerseys in the tour :roll:

I wouldn't buy current team jerseys for this kind of reason

The Once team colour change was done each year to avoid confusion with the leaders yellow jersey.
    Cycling weakly
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    dmclite wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Your opinion just doesn't matter to me to be honest, get off the bandwagon. :roll:

If his opinion doesnt matter to you why post on a message board inviting opinions, to be honest the bandwagon fell over the minute the facts got in the way of a good arguement!
  • Anonymous
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Well said

Crawler.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    UCI rules state that you can change your kit FOR ONE RACE with prior approval. Sky will have to ride in their regular blue and black kit for the rest of this year (such as it is).

Furthermore - it was done to raise the profile of a charity - and as others have said - not available for public purchase.

(Although I guarantee you'll see the China fakes of the green kit popping up on Ebay any day now - if not already available!)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    dmclite wrote:
    Pross wrote:

So when you asked to vent my spleen that was only if it was in support of your unfounded criticism? Sorry, I didn't realise that - you should have made it clear! :lol:
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Pokerface wrote:
    (Although I guarantee you'll see the China fakes of the green kit popping up on Ebay any day now - if not already available!)

cant see any on there yet....however there is a chap from china selling "sky" bib tights and long sleeve jeresey for what appears to be £20, wonder if he will be expanding his lines of dodgy fakes soon!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I never got the impression that they were looking to generate huge money through the mass sale of jerseys (versus football where that is a definite plan). A change of jersey design in cycling is normally for marketing purposes or due to gain/loss of sponsors.

I'd imagine that Sky have been examining their current jersey design and looking at how they could make it stand out more in the peloton. I'm sure other sponsors are also doing the same thing. In football a jersey is just a way to identify your team, but in cycling the jersey is your company's advert.
  • Anonymous
    It wasn't criticism, I raised a question that was all. In fact I raised a number of questions and as a result have now found out why the team changed their colours, know the rules regarding team kit changes and you may now probably get them on E Bay from China.

Read the OP, never once did I give a personal opinion one way or the other, it was an open ended observation that invited discussion about the questions I posed. Supposed to be light hearted by hey-ho, rough with the smooth I suppose. Apologies to any Sky fans I have upset.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Without trying to stir the pot - your OP DID come across as being critical of Sky. Not that there's anything wrong with that stance.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah I can see that, yhats why I apologised. Thing is i'm not too fussed about SKY, if they do well thats fine and if not, well thats sort of ok, too.
    Is that a bit insipid of me not wanting them to do well ? or not caring ?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    dmclite wrote:
    Yeah I can see that, yhats why I apologised. Thing is i'm not too fussed about SKY, if they do well thats fine and if not, well thats sort of ok, too.

You'll soon know out if it's "not caring". You'll be receiving a reply from 'Teapot' :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Aggieboy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

You'll soon know out if it's "not caring". You'll be receiving a reply from 'Teapot' :lol:

Aww, yeah didn't think of that, is he in ?