That was England 86.

andy162
andy162 Posts: 634
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
This is England 86, what did you think?

Me personally, I'm a fan of Shane Meadows' work & really enjoyed it. One minute it was almost slapstick the next it was almost too much. At times it was very difficult to watch. A triumph in my opinion but plenty disagree. It completely split the critics views.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All I know about it is that two of my mates were in it...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Superb
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I think a 4 parter was a little too long - but overall as always I thought it was superb - as the OP said the switch between comedy and hard hitting stuff / and also football and difficult to stomach made for excellent TV but is what you expect from Shane Meadows.

This is the sort of stuff channel 4 should be doing more regularly, unfortunately for every This is England there is a Seven Days (utter sh*t* ).
  • No wonder Bradley Wiggens didnt perform well at the tour, he should have been concentrating on training rather than playing Woody.
    Even Lance only makes cameo appearances in movies.

Just to add, great show pity there wasnt more stuff up to this standard coming oout of the uk.
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • very good drama, but heavy watching in places, especially last weeks r@pe scene.

always had to watch a bit of comedy afterwards before going to bed to 'lighten the mood'
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Too be honest, i thought it was crap.......maybe it's because I wasn't born till 87
  • Anonymous
    Ollieda wrote:
    Too be honest, i thought it was crap.......maybe it's because I wasn't born till 87

Why did you think it was crap ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    I'm hoping it comes out on DVD or I can catch up with it as I kept forgetting it was on and really wanted to see it.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, its out now, they advertised the DVD last night after the end of the series.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I have never got round to watching the film but the series was excellent and very hard hitting these last two weeks - big +1 fro C4 to air it. Will definitely watch the film now.

PS isnt Chanel Cresswell absolutely gorgeous

[img][/img]4929289736_7ae65da628.jpg
    Chanel Cresswell by paul bednall photography, on Flickr
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Fcking brilliant, saw the film last year and the series was amazing. Great great acting all the way through. Girl who played Lol was soo good, as was Woody and Compo.

Just hope another series, or film will be made in future .....
  • Me and the wife missed the film but watched the recent series - just ordered the film from Amazon for a whole £2.99 inc delivery
  • It was ace. Just wished they'd make more!
  • Skeltron wrote:
    It was ace. Just wished they'd make more!

You could be in luck
    "There is talk, if This Is England '86 goes well, of doing another series for Channel 4 set in 1990."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep ... ne-meadows

Personally, I enjoyed it. It was heavy in places, but then again a drama should provoke some kind of response of emotion from you.
  • Ollieda wrote:

I was born in 1968 but I can appreciate film, music etc from before I was born, so your reason doesn't really stack up.

As someone else has asked - why was it crap?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Absolutely awesome. Brilliant character portrayal and totally believable. Challenging and thought provoking yet humorous too.
    The guys a genius. The build up to the attempted rape last night captured barely supressed fury in a way I can't ever recall. No glamour or grandiose gestures but normal people totally on the edge of reason.
  • Scrumple
    Ollieda wrote:
    Too be honest, i thought it was crap.......

I think it was because no one cycled 160 miles, 5 days a week, and then asked why they were tired.

Or wore stripey wheelers tops.

Or ate microwaved mars bars.....

etc.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Ollieda wrote:

I was born in 1968 but I can appreciate film, music etc from before I was born, so your reason doesn't really stack up.

If you need an answer to your question - try looking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
  • Pokerface
    Scrumple wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:
    Too be honest, i thought it was crap.......

I think it was because no one cycled 160 miles, 5 days a week, and then asked why they were tired.

Or wore stripey wheelers tops.

Or ate microwaved mars bars.....

etc.

Will didn't write that post.
  • Scrumple
    flippin bunny pics!!!!

rabbiting on, confusing me.

I can't even delete the post now you have quoted it

My first ever emoticon use (cos they are poor form...) :oops:
  • Pokerface
    Scrumple wrote:
    flippin bunny pics!!!!

Maybe it was one of his alter-egos
  • I thought it was great all round... hard-hitting (literally!), shocking, laugh-out loud funny and under-played (in a good way). I'm 38 so 86 was really the year I started on the road from being a 'boy' to a man. The fashion, bikes, music and attitude were all spot-on.

Only hope they film This is England '87, 88, 89, 90.
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Scrumple wrote:
    flippin bunny pics!!!!

I thought that the Shaun character actually looked a bit like Will...
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Garry H wrote:
    I thought that the Shaun character actually looked a bit like Will...

they're the spit of each other!

Enjoyed it but think the film is better. Niether can top Dead mans shoes though...... quality.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

If you need an answer to your question - try looking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

DOH! :oops:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    great stuff, found some of it hard to watch, the rape scene last week, the only thing that didn't quite work in it were the time lines.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Yep Dead Man's Shoes is one of my favourites. Paddy Considine and Meadows work perfectly together there, both excel themselves. Gut wrenching, haunting stuff.

If you've not seen it, do.