When is too windy?

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited September 2010 in MTB general
just wondering what people's thoughts were on this. I want to ride really badly, just ate a extremely good meal for cycling, but now the weather has decided to become very windy. Is there a point it is too dangerous to ride on some trails on tops of mountains with alot of wind blowing? I think wind is at 25kmh right now, and as said, really want to ride but don't feel like risking a come off because of the wind.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited September 2010
    Someone will be along in just a moment with a 'MTFU' post :)
  • Well that's exactly what I was waiting to hear. Looks like i'm off to ride then. See you boys later.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    in really high winds....we just stay low. still go out.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Wimp! Last summer my bike was blown over - with me on it - by the wind at the top of Mont Ventoux, just in front of the Observatory. Same thing happened to a friend I was riding with.(Another friend had his very expensive Oakley glasses torn off by the wind and blown half way to Italy) Dont know what the wind speed was but I'm sure it was considerably more than 25km per hour. I believe the winds on Ventoux can reach 200km plus. 25km is no problem. Get on your bike and ride :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    just get out and ride, just be careful if you're hitting big jumps, ladder drops or are riding near a cliff :lol:
  • Use stabilisers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    don't feel like risking a come off because of the wind.
    If you don't want to risk coming off, you're in the wrong sport. Crashing is all part and parcel of mountain biking.
  • well if you start flying around like a kite, then it's too windy...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Having a big tree fall on you is a bit above and beyond the call of duty though. I love being out in high wind mind, it's like the exact opposite of being in a climate controlled office. It's daft but it's cool. Riding into the wind at 1mph then riding back with the wind behind you at 50mph :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • in cornwall ive literally been blown off a bike before..
  • It's been 25-30mph most of last week here. Makes my daily commute "interesting" - esp on fixed. Not a safety problem, as long as you anticipate gaps in hedges, buildings etc where you will get gusting.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Ended up going after all, trails were absolutely drenched, and checked with the hut I stop at at the top of the mountain, wind was topping at 48kmh up there. Needless to say was an absolutely epic ride. Got covered in mud, had huge grins on the downhill bits, and the climbing wasn't too bad. Luckily only had the wind coming on my side for most of the climb, not a head wind.

The only reason I asked before is cause everyone I ride with doesn't ride if it's windy, and just wanted to get a second opinion about it. I figured it would be fine, but just needed to hear the "MTFU" part, and I was off.

Now my buddies all want to ride with me next time after getting back and letting them know about the great time I had with shooty weather.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Result!
  • Anonymous
    Out of all the weather that we have, wind is the one that annoys me the most. It can turn a fun ride into a seemingly endless low speed slog against the wind, and nothing else.
  • Out of all the weather that we have, wind is the one that annoys me the most. It can turn a fun ride into a seemingly endless low speed slog against the wind, and nothing else.

Very true man, on a few parts where im outside a trail and more in a field climbing it was tedious and verrrry slow grtting up that daggum hill, but made it in the end with a big ole smile and cigarette once i was done with the climb.

Cant wait for it to rain, after feeling the back end proper wash out in some mud, left such a good feeling i actually wish it rained more before i ride. Cleaning the bike was good fun as well, as hard as that is too beleive.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Too windy is when you're still peddling, but you're actually going backwards........
  • F@RRR
    F@RRR Posts: 62
    edited September 2010
    get yourself down to Ramsgate on monday see if Metcheck have got the forecast right
    , something tells me its a typo :roll:

http://www.metcheck.com%2FV40%2FUK%2FFREE%2Fdayforecast.asp%3Fzipcode%3DRamsgate%26day%3D6&h=92ec0
    blk-weight.png
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    *AL* wrote:
    Too windy is when you're still peddling, but you're actually going backwards........

di you see the documentary of that guy who rode the world or what ever. michael beaumont is his name?

he was in south america on a massive, long straight road that went as far as you could see and he was peddling like fook and doing something like 2mph cos the wind was so strong. it looked soul destroying!!
  • welshkev wrote:
    *AL* wrote:

di you see the documentary of that guy who rode the world or what ever. michael beaumont is his name?

he was in south america on a massive, long straight road that went as far as you could see and he was peddling like fook and doing something like 2mph cos the wind was so strong. it looked soul destroying!!

i would absolutely hate to be in winds like that. Imagine how long it would take to even get anywhere. Jiminy crickets batman, get an engine when that happens.
  • When I'm off road high wind isn't a problem, other than making it hard work sometimes.

However, I will avoid roads in very high winds, after being blown into the middle of an exposed road a few years ago with lots of cars travalling at 70-80 mph.
  • Anonymous
    steponahen wrote:
    When I'm off road high wind isn't a problem, other than making it hard work sometimes.

However, I will avoid roads in very high winds, after being blown into the middle of an exposed road a few years ago with lots of cars travalling at 70-80 mph.
    I take it you don't ride along many ridges, or steep mountainsides :wink:
  • I hide in the woods when it windy.

Find the wind really cuts through and makes it cold coming into this time of year. But when you get moving you don't really notice it. Worst in the car park from my point of veiw since i have to get out the (kind of) city.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Out of all the weather that we have, wind is the one that annoys me the most. It can turn a fun ride into a seemingly endless low speed slog against the wind, and nothing else.

I totally agree. I'm aware that the prevalent advice is to mtfu with wind but I hate it as it can remove any pleasure from the ride
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6