Cervelo - pretty rubbish really

fernholt
fernholt Posts: 46
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
I've got a cervelo bike and think it's really good. I was very pleased also to be able to follow the teams this year, and particularly the fantastic results from the women's team. Emma Pooley, Lizzie Armistead, Sharon Laws, ... They've been an inspiration and I've enjoyed the feeling of having some kind of connection to the teams because my bike's a bit like theirs.

So when I heard that Cervelo were not going to run the teams next year I was a bit disappointed. And there didn't seem to be much information about the decision. Maybe this has changed now but I haven't seen much.

I read an interview with Lizzie Armistead in the Telegraph where she mentioned how she was told about the end of her team.

Lizzie said,
"We just received an email to say the team was stopping. That was it. No apologies, it was pretty rubbish. But I soon got another contract from Garmin so it wasn't too long to stress."

That's a shame. It doesn't sound like the way people should be treated.
Sad.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I thought they were keeping the women's team going :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    On to bigger and better things, Cervelo will be part of Garmin, should get even more support now...

Was a bit cack though.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I like the Cervelo Test Team and Garmin-Transitions and am looking forward to the "new" team. (But I'm not looking forward to argyled Cervelo bikes.)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    So should the team have flown them all from wherever they were in the world and gathered them all in a big boardroom somewhere to give them the news? :roll:

This is the modern world. People get fired by text message (in some cases) and the 'talent' are often the last to know about such things.

It's not like they were all kicked out on their arses without getting paid. The women's team was originally meant to continue under the Cervelo name - but now it seems has also been absorbed by Garmin.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Pokerface wrote:
    So should the team have flown them all from wherever they were in the world and gathered them all in a big boardroom somewhere to give them the news? :roll:

This is the modern world. People get fired by text message (in some cases) and the 'talent' are often the last to know about such things.

It's not like they were all kicked out on their arses without getting paid. The women's team was originally meant to continue under the Cervelo name - but now it seems has also been absorbed by Garmin.

Bit harsh. Its professional in the very least to talk to your team.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    downfader wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Bit harsh. Its professional in the very least to talk to your team.

+1, people might get fired by text message, that doesnt make it right, or courteous. Not difficult to pick the phone up.
  • to be fair the riders probably knew it was on the cards - anyone who follows cycling tweets or the pro section on here knew that !!!

on a side note to fernholt - never 'follow' cycling teams, they change more often than the wind !! Follow riders instead
  • Cervelo had the intention of running the team for 2 years and no longer to raise brand awareness. They got that and the bikes have become the new Specialized machines with them dotted around everywhere. They admited it at the start at a press conference.

They are great bikes no doubt, but Mr. Vroomen and Mr. White are very clever at selling kit for sure. No one bleats about the Chinese made Cervelo frame but will happily tell a Dogma owner it was made in Taiwan. I would take an S-works frame over a Cervelo all day long now.

I concur that the ending was rather shallow, but then given how Behind the Peleton documentary is now a mere pastiche of what it was, it was easy to see it coming.

I think cycling, as much as we all love it is the most transient sport ever....
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I think cycling, as much as we all love it is the most transient sport ever....

Never a truer word said. I suppose thats because its a sponsored team sport rather than teams that find sponsors in the way football or rugby works.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    edited September 2010
    Pross wrote:
    I thought they were keeping the women's team going :?

I heard they were putting money into a crack team.

ba dm, tsh.
  • Pokerface
    I would take an S-works frame over a Cervelo all day long now.

As the owner of a Cervelo, a Spesh and an American-made Trek (not an East-Asian one), I find my Cervelo the best bike by far. (And I know you also had an S3).

Don't care where the bikes are made - just how they ride.
  • Pokerface
    Just reviving this thread with a link to an interesting interview with Cervelo co-founder Phil White. He talks about the team:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/i ... hite-27990