Bike Carrier for rear of pickup

evilollie
evilollie Posts: 148
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi

does anyone know of a bike carrier that fits in the rear of a pickup , i believe there is such a device that can hold a couple of bikes withing the pickup part

i would rather this than using the roof, as i dont have a canaopy on my pickup

any advice appreciated

ta

Comments

• Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    I have seen a bar with quick releases attached that is designed for use inside people carriers and vans. From memory you remove the front wheel of each bike and then attach the forks to the bar that runs across the floor from one side of the van to the other. I am sure that would work for you.

Can't remember what it was called though.
  • Chirg
    Got it!

I was thinking of BikeInside, but also found the Thule Bed Rider, which hopefully fits the bill.
  • Minoura do something that might be suitable as well, distributed by Zyro so it should be widely available.
    http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1gv2h/ ... /index.htm
    that should give you the Zyro catalogue page in pdf...if not it's on page 119
  • That bikeinside was exactly what I was after

Thanks very much
  • Chirg
    Glad to be of service! Can you do me a favour and report back on your thoughts on it if you buy one?
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    evilollie wrote:
    That bikeinside was exactly what I was after

Thanks very much

+1
  • evilollie wrote:
    That bikeinside was exactly what I was after

Thanks very much

Could you keep us posted, I drive a Nissan Navara truck and I do not have a cab on mine either so this looks interesting.
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    I did something a bit cheaper on my Navarra.

I bought 2 delta fork mounts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Delta ... 360006702/

and bolted them to the front C rail behind the cab. This way they're always there and don't take up so much space as a seperate rail. Also the bikes are locked to the truck so it makes it a bit more secure if you have to leave it parked.
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • GraemeT wrote:
    I did something a bit cheaper on my Navarra.

I bought 2 delta fork mounts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Delta ... 360006702/

and bolted them to the front C rail behind the cab. This way they're always there and don't take up so much space as a seperate rail. Also the bikes are locked to the truck so it makes it a bit more secure if you have to leave it parked.

Thanks for that Graeme, I am liking the look of those brackets.
  • Those brackets are alot cheaper than a rail , however don't know if they would fit my L200 don't want to bolt then to the truck bed
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    You can always just fix them to a plank of wood and lay that in the bed.

I didn't have to drill anything in my truck, I used an extra strip of metal as a backing plate and just clamped it around an existing fixture in the bed.
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • Yeah I suppose that would work . L200 is devoid of extra bits in the back
  • izza
    I have a L200 Warrior. There are no fixings at base level but presume straps through drainage holes could be used.

I'd rather not drill any new holes and worsen rust possibilities.
  • I'm the same prob just save my pennies and go for the fit for purpose rack
  • izza
    evilollie wrote:
    I'm the same prob just save my pennies and go for the fit for purpose rack

So far I've gone for the left over carpet underneath the bike option but the above racks would allow me take two bikes to events/rides.