Winter Cycling

spoiltdouglas
spoiltdouglas Posts: 20
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
This will be my first winter of road cycling and id like to ask for any advice from those experienced of daring the weather. I currently have a set of mudguards on (crud mk2s) and after a ride i wipe the frame down and oil the chain. What other stuff should i be doing to look after my pride and joy? :D Is what im doing correct? Has anyone any tips or advice in regards of maintenance or even for when im out on the bike?

Any advice will be greatly recieved (and if you would like to vent about any mishaps or lessons 'learned the hard way' in regards to winter cycling then please post as well)

Cheers

Comments

maintenance or even for when im out on the bike?

lol no just clean it once a week
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • I wouldn't oil the chain after every ride,only if required.

You should lube the chain then remove the excess with a rag. Too much oil will attract all manner of sh1t to stick to it ( well more then normal anyway)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Get some quality lights and purchase the best quality winter clothing you can afford. Use tyres which have extra puncture protection ( I use ultragatorskins) but I'm sure others have their preference, there are a lot of good ones out there.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • If the roads have been salted hose the bike down when you get home
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Merino wool socks and Neoprene overboots. Frozen toes are NOT for winners.

As the saying goes - There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
  • yeah probably look into neoprene overshoes, shame they're not waterproof also. Need two pairs of overshoes :(
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    yeah probably look into neoprene overshoes, shame they're not waterproof also. Need two pairs of overshoes :(

Have a look at the Rapha ones. :shock:
    I like white bikes
  • They have 5 figure sum? :shock:
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    If you go riding in the wet you need to give your brake blocks a clean&get all the bits of crap out of them now&then.Apart from the racket it makes every time you use them.You'll also be wearing away the rims on your wheels a lot quicker,even if they're only cheapish wheels.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Winter riding not really a problem so long as you clean the bike once a week-nothing special just get the salt off. Get some decent gloves for when its really cold and use a skull cap or bandana. Leg warmers, overshoes an decent base layer, gillet and you should be sorted. Only time I stay off the roads is if they are icy or if there is more than a light dusting of snow
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    sundog wrote:
    yeah probably look into neoprene overshoes, shame they're not waterproof also. Need two pairs of overshoes :(

I've looked at them - seemed fine apart from the price, but not sure what this means?
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Moaner wrote:
    sundog wrote:

I've looked at them - seemed fine apart from the price, but not sure what this means?

instead of being either waterproof or thermal they are both
    I like white bikes
  • Get some Northwave Farenheit/Celcius boots - warm and waterproof. They are more expensive than overshoes (except Rapha), but they'll last several winters
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • +1 for the winter boots, I got some H20 Pro overboots last winter, not that great also they are knackered now, I just got some SIDI gortex boots, dry and toasty, although the temp has not dropped very much, you might like to get some ankle seals from a diving shop as the tops of the boots are open(obviously) I mean there is space for water to get in, however not an issue if wearing longs.
  • I find a traditional cycling cap under the helmet good in winter, you can flick it up and not notice it and then flip it down to keep the lower sun / driving rain out of your eyes
  • Cheers to all for your input. So the underlining lesson to be learned is layers and keep those feet dry!!

In regards to the washing of the bike are we talking hot soapy water or are there specific products etc that should be used? Are there any areas where i should take extra care?

Forgive my ignorance
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Planet X overshoes are cheap and last really well.

Get a headtorch too, makes tinkering with the bike in the dark a lot easier.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Regarding washing your bike; DO NOT USE A PRESURE WASHER, I use a bucket with some of the car wash turtlewax and then rinse. Also I take the wheels off and give them a good seeing to.
  • Regarding washing your bike; DO NOT USE A PRESURE WASHER, I use a bucket with some of the car wash turtlewax and then rinse. Also I take the wheels off and give them a good seeing to.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Also I take the wheels off and give them a good seeing to.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Peddle Up! wrote:

LOL!!! :lol:

I just hose my bike if it's ridden on wet, dirty roads. Never used any soap on it yet!...

I use Pro Tarmac NPU overshoes... Excellent. Thick (3mm) neoprene, warm, too. Your feet will eventually get wet, because you can't stop water seeping down through your tights...
    I would buy a pair of bots next though, only to stop the faffing about trying to get the dirty, wet overshoes of my feet, so I can release my shoes and take them off, before bursting into the house for a p!ss!!! :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Peddle Up! wrote:

classic :wink:
  • I'm thinking of getting the Crud Racers for my Planet X so that i can keep using it to ride to work rather than forking out for a winter bike. Going to get some winter clothes to go with it so not freeze on the ride. I've got an Ultegra groupset on my bike now and don't want it to melt due to salt.

What does everyone think? Reasonable or asking for trouble?

Cheers
  • Wouldn't bother with too much effort trying to keep dry on winter rides.

This doesn't mean dispense with extra layers, but just accept that water will get in, and if it doesn't then the sweat will want to get out and you end up wet either way. Have kit that keeps the wind off and keeps you warm more than anything.

I find a base layer, jersey, winter windproof jacket, shorts with longs over the top, overshoes (or booties),some kind of hat and decent gloves enough for anything down to -5.

As long as you clean and lube your bike reasonably often, have mudguards and keep some grease on the seat tube the wear of your parts won't be dramatically accelerated.

All in all, just get out and ride and enjoy the lovely low sun and the greater contrast of the darker colours that the shorter days bring. The billowing mists of your breath in the morning air and the complete clarity of mind in conquering those occasional miserable days.
  • I'm thinking of getting the Crud Racers for my Planet X so that i can keep using it to ride to work rather than forking out for a winter bike. Going to get some winter clothes to go with it so not freeze on the ride. I've got an Ultegra groupset on my bike now and don't want it to melt due to salt.

What does everyone think? Reasonable or asking for trouble?

Cheers

crud roadracers are great :)
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Crud mudguards are the dogs. They are so easy to fit and remove and really keep the bike clean. I did a real wet ride yesterday and the bike only needed a quick hose down. They are worth every penny