recommendation for hub geared ladies bike

Alley
Alley Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi, I'm looking for a nice looking, upright, preferably hub geared but not essential ladies town/cruiser type bike.

I really fancy something a bit different, but good quality.

Pashley seem to have the market pretty much covered, also considering an Electra Townie, but don't want to miss out if anyone has any suggestions/experience of a bike I've missed!!

many thanks for any input :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Worth a look around, raleigh used to do some quite decent ones. Pashley are very heavy!

Alternatively build one up, but you may need to use a vertical dropout frame and tensioner.

A few options here with a quick search, won't guarentee they are the cheapest, but it shows some options!
    http://www.bikes2udirect.com I searched for ladies and hub and got 5 options, you could also try ladies and nexus or ladies and alfine!

This looks reasonable http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3375.html

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Ridgeback Avenida 7 ladies.
    Corratec 8 speed ladies
    These use Shimano Nexus gears and come with all the urban accessories, mudguards, rack, chainguard.
  • They're great, thanks - two that I hadn't seen before.

I heard the Pashleys were a bit on the weighty side which is a bit offputting. I'm hoping to do mainly 8-10 mile fairly flat rides with it so a lighter weight frame would be better :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Their are five or six on that website, including the Avenida, I put up the Land Rover as they are available at good prices, and that is the cheapest 7+ speed I could find.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.