Chain Reaction Cycles-sending used parts out instead of new.

sturmey
sturmey Posts: 964
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Received a square taper bottom bracket from Chain Reaction Cycles yesterday which was in a torn and tatty packet and had clearly been fitted to a bike and the cranks fitted also.There was even rusty discolouration to the inside of the plastic cup.

Not impressed at all.

Has anyone else experienced the same with these people?

And before some of you jump to their defence and say how wonderful they are ,yes, I too have also had good service in the past.

But I'm afraid this time their service sucks.

Comments

• do you consider it unfit for purpose?

there is a thin line between a used item and a previously returned item
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    acidstrato wrote:
    do you consider it unfit for purpose?

there is a thin line between a used item and a previously returned item

not relevant - if it is advertised as 'new' then it should be exactly that. Fitted/removed parts are not new....
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    If an item is advertised as new this is generally regarded to mean not used in any way.
    it should be described as 'returned' 'display item' 'nearly new' ect..
    This item could even be OEM, who knows?
    I think fit for purpose has nothing to do with product description from a retailer.
    Lots of second hand items may be fit for purpose but if you receive a used item described as new I would say thats poor service.
  • sturmey
    It is definitely 100% used.It is not fresh grease on the cups.It is dirty grease and frankly it looks old as the hills.
    I have emailed them and they just said sorry,send it back for a refund.
    Suppose this is the least they could do.
    Was just shocked that they could be this shoddy.Not as if they could have sent it out inadvertently.Think they were trying it on.

i am wary of using them again.

Judging by the following similar thread(see 2nd paragraph) it looks like I'm not alone in my complaint:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Chain_Reaction_Cycles__5627937
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    They did similar to me. Make sure you send it back registered post and chase them every day.
    I like white bikes
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Disgusting service, not a mistake imo, surely you won't be buying from there again?
  • sturmey
    Disgusting service, not a mistake imo, surely you won't be buying from there again?

Not in any rush to, let's just say that.

Will report back and say whether they refund my return postage.

I have my doubts...
  • Jungli
    Jungli Posts: 201
    They should refund your postage but you will probably have to ask them to. :?
  • sturmey
    They refunded me part of my return postage but no explanation why.

I am unimpressed .

This is the sort of service I would expect from some of Ebay's worst sellers, not from one of our biggest mail order outfits.
  • I blame Wiggle
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Was it part of their flooded stock they were advertising as such in the sale? That would explain the box and rust.
  • sturmey
    Was it part of their flooded stock they were advertising as such in the sale? That would explain the box and rust.

No it wasn't part of their flooded stock. Thought I was getting a new one.
    Emailed them to query why they'd sent it and they couldn't or didn't want to give an explanation.
  • sundog
    sturmey wrote:

No it wasn't part of their flooded stock. Thought I was getting a new one.
    Emailed them to query why they'd sent it and they couldn't or didn't want to give an explanation.

That sounds like the shoddy service I received from CRC.

Good luck on getting your money back
    I like white bikes
  • You should get a full refund, postage and all, CRC can afford it, the owner drives an Aston Martin DB9 don't you know!

....bet you didn't pay full rrp for it though did you?....sometimes those online "bargains" just aint what they're cracked up to be....but you're right, regardless of price, if it's advertised as "new", it should be unused and the packaging should be intact......which leads me onto another point....if you're returning an item back to a shop because it doesn't fit or you changed your mind etc, don't expect a full refund unless it's returned in perfect condition, including the packaging....
  • Square taper are that old they probably stopped making them years ago and they found one on an old bike out of the canal.

Reduce,reuse,recycle :)

On a more serious note its only sh1t if they don't exchange or refund you. Frustrating I know but given the amount of orders they process there are going to be a few mistakes. Its how they deal with them that matters.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • The last thing I bought from them was a stem which had evidence of old threadlock on the bolts

I thought long and hard about returning it on principle but in the end couldnt be arsed

However I havent used them since

Seems its not a one off!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sure its down to a few lazy returns staff and a few dodgy customers.

Thing is there are definitely people out there who'll receive something, fit it, decide they dont want it for some reason and then take it off and send it back. Some people might do it and you'll never know it from new and others might mark/dirty the items. Id guess some lazy staff are putting some items back on the shelf without checking, that's the only real explanation.

Ive had a hell of a lot of items from CRC but not come across it myself, although for what its worth, I dont tend to use them as much as other sites cos the free delivery only comes 80% of the time the next day for me, whereas wiggle, highonbikes for example have always come next day, everytime. Also, I dont like CRC's returns proceedure compared to Wiggle its antiquainted. (also on at least 3 occasions I have paid for next day delivery from CRC that has failed... ordered well within the cut-off times for the day, got refunded for the delivery each time, but its not the point).
  • The last thing I bought from them was a stem which had evidence of old threadlock on the bolts

I thought long and hard about returning it on principle but in the end couldnt be arsed

However I havent used them since

Seems its not a one off!

Was it the blue threadlock that lots of bolts come pre dipped in ;)

• I once received the wrong item from them, i sent it back and they replaced it for what i wanted and refunded me my postage (wiggle and evans don't generally do this).

can't say i was happy originally, but they did all they had to do to ensure i got my part and wasn;t out of pocket.

not sure what else they are supposed to do, saying you will stop using them is cutting off your own nose etc. I'm sure you'll change your mind if you see a part you need £50 everywhere else but £30 at crc.

Perhaps wait until they respond to your email before badmouthing them on forums.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I once received the wrong item from them, i sent it back and they replaced it for what i wanted and refunded me my postage (wiggle and evans don't generally do this).

can't say i was happy originally, but they did all they had to do to ensure i got my part and wasn;t out of pocket.

not sure what else they are supposed to do, saying you will stop using them is cutting off your own nose etc. I'm sure you'll change your mind if you see a part you need £50 everywhere else but £30 at crc.

Perhaps wait until they respond to your email before badmouthing them on forums.

No need, once they told someone here to build the bike themselves. Have blacklisted CRC.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    A lot of stuff they and Merlin sell is OEM, that's why it's cheap. They should really tell you it's OEM but they don't.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sundog

I think its their not bothering to respond that annoys people as they did with me.
    I like white bikes
  • antfly wrote:
    A lot of stuff they and Merlin sell is OEM, that's why it's cheap. They should really tell you it's OEM but they don't.
    excuse my ignorance but what is OEM?
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Original equipment manufacturer.

Basically it means they come in brown boxes, rather than retail packaging.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • antfly wrote:

So less packaging to rip off, it is cheaper and better for the environment.

Fail to see the bad side?

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    antfly wrote:

To bloody right they should and the warranty with the manufacturer is void.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    they sent me a chain that was several links short once

luckily i had a few spare links knocking around to make it up to length

they are my last port of call now (apart from d hinde of course!)
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • sundog wrote:
    ... Make sure you send it back registered post and chase them every day.
    Why?

They were perfect when I returned a product (broke on 1st use). Item replaced and postage refunded too. No need to chase. Not even once.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    antfly wrote:

So less packaging to rip off, it is cheaper and better for the environment.

Fail to see the bad side?

I'm quite happy to buy OEM if it's a lot cheaper but I still like to know what i'm buying.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sundog
    sundog wrote:
    ... Make sure you send it back registered post and chase them every day.
    Why?

They were perfect when I returned a product (broke on 1st use). Item replaced and postage refunded too. No need to chase. Not even once.

Because they denied they'd received it even though someone signed for it at their address.
    I like white bikes