The silly but painful commuting injuries thread

noisemonkey
noisemonkey Posts: 159
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
60334_438040571300_685081300_5775385_7438696_n.jpg

broke my wrist on saturday due to a front braking too hard error, went flying over the handlebars on to my left wrist (I'm a lefty), scraped both knees, hands, hip. Managed to cycle another mile down the road before getting off and walking the rest of the way... off to hospital tomorrow to have a plate put in wrist... Hopefully titanium :) any other silly injury stories?

Comments

• Cleaning a pint glass (overpint to be accurate) on Sunday, I had my hand right inside with the spong cleaning around the base when it broke.

I was left with some seriously sharp and jagged edges and the top section of the glass still intact and all around my wrist. Forming a kind of lethal glass wristband :shock:

I also find that I managed to break the glass because I was pushing too hard and one of the sharpest bit was now embedded in my right hand, base of the little finger and RIGHT on a join.

Ooooh that was a time to be delicate. I had to carefully pull the bottom section off my hand and then pull the top section over without cutting myself to pieces.

I now have this REALLY annoying cut right on a join that refuses to heal because I keep bending the scab... Gawd it itches!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gardening last weekend when i felt a "ping" in my ribcage.It was not to painful at fisrt so i carried on as normal, i went back to work the following monday and thought nothing of it.
    As the week progressed it got more painful and by thursday i could not breathe or move the arm without pain.
    Turns out i have sheared my rib muscles and i am now off work on painkillers, i cant even go for a bike ride as it hurts to much :(
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Hurumph.

Someone changed the title AFTER we posted :evil: :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I suffered a similar broken wrist last year. Happily riding along on a bright sunny day, happened to see a puddle of "water" ahead. I should've been suspicious at this point as to where this water had come from but thought nothing of it and continued to ride over it. I can't remember if I braked at this point, tried to change direction or if it just happened but my front wheel suddenly slipped out as I went over the "puddle" and I landed on my wrist and broke it in 2 places (both bones all the way through). It was at this point I realised it wasn't water but in fact engine oil from a car that had hit a bollard a while earlier. Now I don't ride over suspect puddles unless I know they really are just water.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • well i hear that a month or so ago, westernway clipped out on the left and leant right on the holloway road during rush hour
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Cleaning a pint glass (overpint to be accurate) on Sunday, I had my hand right inside with the spong cleaning around the base when it broke.

I was left with some seriously sharp and jagged edges and the top section of the glass still intact and all around my wrist. Forming a kind of lethal glass wristband :shock:

I also find that I managed to break the glass because I was pushing too hard and one of the sharpest bit was now embedded in my right hand, base of the little finger and RIGHT on a join.

Ooooh that was a time to be delicate. I had to carefully pull the bottom section off my hand and then pull the top section over without cutting myself to pieces.

I now have this REALLY annoying cut right on a join that refuses to heal because I keep bending the scab... Gawd it itches!

+ 1 on that, nasty scar of right index finger from exactly the same thing, down to bone hospital 10 stitches, lots of blood. About 10 years ago now.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I was giving my younger brother a cog (northern for him sat on seat while i pedaled). We were going v.fast downhill, he fell off backwards onto wheel. took me nearly a minute to stop the bike and about three years to stop laughing. The injuries were dreadful, one of his testicles detached, inside him, and ended up near his stomach. Had to have keyhole surgery to find it and fetch it back and the stich it to his sack. Whenever i see him now i hum the wombles theme tune and we both burst out laughing...
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    bicyclepirate
    :shock: :cry:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    took me nearly a minute to stop the bike and about three years to stop laughing.

Ah, brotherly love.

Still not getting the wombles reference though!
  • I bruised my right butt cheek. Not quite sure how, but it involved a bit of fcukwittery. I think I pushed down on the pedals with my backside at wrong elevation and propelled my rather sharp saddle into my butt cheek. More painful than childbirth.
  • Alphabet wrote:
    well i hear that a month or so ago, westernway clipped out on the left and leant right on the holloway road during rush hour

I was tired, and needed a little lie down.

My wrist still hurts :-(
  • prj45 wrote:
    took me nearly a minute to stop the bike and about three years to stop laughing.

Ah, brotherly love.

More for the "wombling free" I suspect
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Inflamed hip flexor due to too many miles on a new bike without setting it up properly.
    Walking round like an old hunched man for ages til I had a couple of physio massages on it

...still cant be bothered stretching enough and have felt it coming back on my other leg now... but the bikes are all set up perfect.
    I'm just wearing out
  • On my first commute home in the dark the other week down a very quiet country lane when a moth got in my way and started buzzing around my head. Before I knew what was happening it went inside my left ear (I mean down the ear canal).

Couldn't get it out so had to ride the remaining 5 km home with it buzzing every few minutes right next to my ear drum (that was very weird). Went to see my neighbour to help remove it but she said it was too far inside (I mean - how deep is an ear canal??).

So went to Royal Berks A&E and had to wait over 3 hours to be seen. Felt a right prat explaining my 'injury' to the receptionist. Took two doctors and a long pair of tongs to extract a moth that was a good 1cm in length and about 5mm across its body, wingspan of 2cm....couldn't believe it was that big. The doc stamped on it for me.

I hope that's as weird/painful as it gets for the winter commute this year...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    robocolley wrote:
    On my first commute home in the dark the other week down a very quiet country lane when a moth got in my way and started buzzing around my head. Before I knew what was happening it went inside my left ear (I mean down the ear canal).

Couldn't get it out so had to ride the remaining 5 km home with it buzzing every few minutes right next to my ear drum (that was very weird). Went to see my neighbour to help remove it but she said it was too far inside (I mean - how deep is an ear canal??).

So went to Royal Berks A&E and had to wait over 3 hours to be seen. Felt a right prat explaining my 'injury' to the receptionist. Took two doctors and a long pair of tongs to extract a moth that was a good 1cm in length and about 5mm across its body, wingspan of 2cm....couldn't believe it was that big. The doc stamped on it for me.

I hope that's as weird/painful as it gets for the winter commute this year...

Ew, that makes me shiver more than tales of broken limbs
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • prj45 wrote:

Ah, brotherly love.

"Underground, overground, one-balling free
    The one-balls of Wimbledon"

Etc etc
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I made a good mess of my left knee a couple of years ago....

split the meniscus and tore the ACL...

That took months on crutches and even more on physio to get it back to normal....I was fortunate that the ligament healed without needing surgery....and the meniscus wore so that it isn't notchy when it moves....but obviously never heals.

That sucked.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Just had fettling injury

Gouged thumb on chain ring while using an allen key to remove pedals.

May need stitches.

I've decided to name this injury Fuckwit's Thumb
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've suffered lesser fuckwits thumb many times.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • In April, i was tottering down the road, getting ready to turn right, i did the old Look Behind and put my arm out to signal i was crossing the lanes, leading on to turning. Then the next thing, flew over the bars using my free hand to break my fall.

Ended up braking my scaphoid in my hand and my elbow.

Went back to look at the road and it seems that my wheel had pinched between in a thin pot hole that had formed between layers of tarmac that met between.

:S
    Boardman Hybrid Pro 2009
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105 Compact 2010
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    road rash on knees, elbow, ankle and a lump appears to be coming up on my thigh.....

Suspect I'll be a bit sore in the morning.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Just hit myself in the mouth whilst putting on an armwarmer. That was embarrassing. Glad no one was about to see... oh, wait
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cycling related pratfall - heaton park north of manchester has a mini railway. I got my front wheel caught in the tracks and went A over T through the air and landed in a heap quite an impressive distance from the bike with my kids in a trailer on the back of it, on its side, they were yelling do it again.

I've a couple of nice scars across one finger tip and into the side of the next knuckle where I sliced and stabbed myself stupidly using a mini leatherman to cut a cable tie off my downtube, the continuing upward thrust when the tie went took the blade into my other hand.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    854a2fd4.jpg
    14a251bf.jpg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just had fettling injury

May need stitches.

Done that - I now always put on winter gloves when exerting force near to chainrings / sprockets.

Managed to crash at Herne Hill velodrome when a wasp flew into my helmet, all it took was that slight loss of concentration, hand off the bar and - doh - I stopped pedalling. Remarkably didn't do much damage, managed a 100km ride the next day with assistance of mucho painkillers.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I had a hole in my bib tights, went on a 35 miler and arrived home to find I'd burned a patch of skin the size of a 10p piece off my thigh. Cue pain and a funny walk for a week.
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Injury in my early teens when I had a Raleigh racer...was cycling on the road...was crapping it when all teh cars whizzed by. On the way to Dad's shop and tried an ambitious mount on the kerb which made me loose balance....cue front wheel angled towards the right and me falling on bike...luckily towards the pavement...

Injuries sustained...scrapped front tooth loosing some enamel....bruised side of face, a bruises and grazes on arm.....put me off biking for over two decades which I regret in hindsight....
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • BigMat wrote:
    Just had fettling injury

May need stitches.

Done that - I now always put on winter gloves when exerting force near to chainrings / sprockets.

Managed to crash at Herne Hill velodrome when a wasp flew into my helmet, all it took was that slight loss of concentration, hand off the bar and - doh - I stopped pedalling. Remarkably didn't do much damage, managed a 100km ride the next day with assistance of mucho painkillers.

If you weren't such girlymen you'd have been in the big ring anyway so this would never have happened. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I've got scrapes on my knuckles from some interesting filtering.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wheelie off pavement....front wheel wasn't there when I landed.

Flew off the front and landed on the road facing forward, more or less on but then the bike carried on, somehow totally missing my body, slid up and over my back and clonked me in the back of the head so my teeth went crunch into the road, chipping the front one.