Another winter jacket question?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Need a new winter jacket. Something that will keep me warm during damp dark winter days in Scotland down to about freezing. Have a rain cape jacket for sharp showers so a soft shell would probably be the best bet.

The Gore Phantom at £100 is the best I've seen yet. Dont want to spend much more than that. Will be used for commuting and weekend winter rides of around 3-4 hours.

Any other suggestions from those who own other jackets?

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I have a Gore Oxygen, which I think is more or less a closer fitting version of the Phantom. It is one of my favourite bits of kit!
  • Nickwill wrote:
    I have a Gore Oxygen, which I think is more or less a closer fitting version of the Phantom. It is one of my favourite bits of kit!

cheers, with layering is it good even on the coldest of days?
  • Probably need a few layers, windproof jackets on their own are good upto a point, probably need thermal long sleeved top, long sleeved jersey, wool mid layer, with the windproof jacket on top. I rode at -15 degrees c.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Probably need a few layers, windproof jackets on their own are good upto a point, probably need thermal long sleeved top, long sleeved jersey, wool mid layer, with the windproof jacket on top.

sorry, that's ridiculous - a windproof/thermal top like the Gore Phantom will only need one or maybe two baselayers underneath it at best, depending on wind or temp....
    I rode at -15 degrees c.

so you keep saying....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    All you need usually is a decent base layer and the jacket itself. I have never needed any more layers than that.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I can recommend one of these. Only M left though -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pearl_Izumi_Barrier_Jacket/5360026341/#more

Used one all last Winter with a polo neck base layer and a hat!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • mr troll again. Was it not -15 degrees in november/december last year? I was riding then. I also wore a scarf on around my neck and chest, and a baraclava and a windproof cap, and I was still cold.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    The OP wants to go out for 3-4 hours with a windproof & base layer

If its anything like the last 2 winters then he'll freeze to death.
    I like white bikes
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Was it not -15 degrees in november/december last year?

it may have been at times, fella - but I wasn't stupid enough to ride my bike in it.......
  • I wore this all last winter. I live in Edinburgh, and cycled around midlothian, east lothian and the borders in the coldest weather we had.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0574

Found it warm, highly breathable, and shower resistant. Ace kit, and only needed a helly hansen under it at the coldest times.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    softlad wrote:
    it may have been at times, fella - but I wasn't stupid enough to ride my bike in it.......

+ 1. Stupid idea.... That's time for the turbo trainer, riding in that weather is asking for ice, crashes and illness.
  • softlad wrote:
    Was it not -15 degrees in november/december last year?

+ 1. Stupid idea.... That's time for the turbo trainer, riding in that weather is asking for ice, crashes and illness.

Then I should have quit work and gone on the dole? :roll: No buses and I don't have a car.

Oh and I crashed, and guess what got back up and carried on riding. Not a wuss lol
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Oh and I crashed, and guess what got back up and carried on riding. Not a wuss lol

Hahaha! Well done... Brave , but not clever! ;o)
  • lol. yeah guess people have just become used to cars with ac on 30 degrees. Brothers the same, raining a bit and goes in the car. Been on the bike during rainstorms etc, get funny looks from work collegues.

Actually it wasn't really that bad, the worst was starting off in my street (snow, ungritted roads) 8 miles either way, for the whole winter period, 5 days a week, and only fell off once. And that was my own fault, was going to fast and getting cocky. No injury. Never had any tyres slipping, could hear in crunching. Just stayed about 10-12 mph and vertically no sideways bonking lol

Of course was freezing to the bone, multiple layers two pairs of socks, one thick wool pair, plus overshoes, long johns, tights, windproof tights. base layer top, long sleeve jersey, hoody/jumper, windproof top, scarf, two pairs of gloves, baraclava and windproof cap. As expected most effected by cold was head, hands, fingers. Got a new pair of undergarments from aldi, look warmer than my other ones, plus I have leg/arm warmers (better than the tights) new pair of Sub Zero gloves, merino mix top, probably look for windproof baraclava, and some warmer socks//overshoes, and warm cycling pants.
  • lol. yeah guess people have just become used to cars with ac on 30 degrees. Brothers the same, raining a bit and goes in the car. Been on the bike during rainstorms etc, get funny looks from work collegues.

Actually it wasn't really that bad, the worst was starting off in my street (snow, ungritted roads) 8 miles either way, for the whole winter period, 5 days a week, and only fell off once. And that was my own fault, was going to fast and getting cocky. No injury. Never had any tyres slipping, could hear in crunching. Just stayed about 10-12 mph and vertically no sideways bonking lol

Of course was freezing to the bone, multiple layers two pairs of socks, one thick wool pair, plus overshoes, long johns, tights, windproof tights. base layer top, long sleeve jersey, hoody/jumper, windproof top, scarf, two pairs of gloves, baraclava and windproof cap. As expected most effected by cold was head, hands, fingers. Got a new pair of undergarments from aldi, look warmer than my other ones, plus I have leg/arm warmers (better than the tights) new pair of Sub Zero gloves, merino mix top, probably look for windproof baraclava, and some warmer socks//overshoes, and warm cycling pants.

I'm about to embark on a winter of 20 miles each way.

Lightweight ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    I can recommend one of these. Only M left though -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pearl_Izumi_Barrier_Jacket/5360026341/#more

Used one all last Winter with a polo neck base layer and a hat!

Cheers I am a Medium and at £55 that might be a good option.
  • Probably need a few layers, windproof jackets on their own are good upto a point, probably need thermal long sleeved top, long sleeved jersey, wool mid layer, with the windproof jacket on top. I rode at -15 degrees c.

That does seem a bit excessive as you do start heating up considerably once you get moving, especially after the first climb of the day. Hand and feet are the areas that need the extra layers in my experience.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    edited September 2010
    I'm about to embark on a winter of 20 miles each way.

It's not the distance, could easily do 20 miles...just getting the will and the [frozen] balls to do it. Will buy a baracala asap, probably tight fitting as mine is a bit loose, and cold air was rushing, wasn't windproof. Still was better than nothing, my forehead was freezing but another cap (windproof) made it better. Chilled cheeks I can live with.

That does seem a bit excessive as you do start heating up considerably once you get moving, especially after the first climb of the day. Hand and feet are the areas that need the extra layers in my experience.

No you don't. because you're going slow (because you would be stupid to go 20mph) you're not working hard. So you're cold. But not excerting yourself is probably best, you don't want blood to rush around into your cold extremities and lower your body temp. And of course you have the windchill, even with windproof clothing it still gets you.

Did you ride on Nov/Dec?
  • Ride a single speed, that will soon warm you up!
  • [/quote]

Did you ride on Nov/Dec?[/quote]

Yes, and Jan,Feb and March that were considerably colder here in Scotland last winter.
    Still reckon it's the feet and hands that need the additional layers. I do like to ride fast and work up a sweat.
  • Stellite wrote:
    Ride a single speed, that will soon warm you up!

You wouldn't be saying that if I took you around the hills where I live :lol:
  • Agree with hands and feet...and forehead too. But having cold legs and arms is bad too (read up about it, lowering core temp) I wouldn't recommend riding fast lol (again that core temp thing, doing exercise with cold limps is bad mmmkay) hit a bit of ice and if you're doing 25 mph..
  • I'm about to embark on a winter of 20 miles each way.

It's not the distance, could easily do 20 miles...just getting the will and the [frozen] balls to do it. Will buy a baracala asap, probably tight fitting as mine is a bit loose, and cold air was rushing, wasn't windproof. Still was better than nothing, my forehead was freezing but another cap (windproof) made it better. Chilled cheeks I can live with.

Craft Zero Extreme Cap.

Buff

Sorted
  • Got a windproof cap already, don't need another cap. I think windproof SAS type baraclava would be good
  • Assos Airjack 851. Best jacket I've ever bought. Used it for commuting all through the winter in Glasgow last year and on longer weekend rides. Bit pricey but well worth it.
  • Assos Airjack 851. Best jacket I've ever bought. Used it for commuting all through the winter in Glasgow last year and on longer weekend rides. Bit pricey but well worth it.

Not sure I'd agree. I have a Gore Cosmo and Oxygen. They're both just as good in the cold (if not better given they have full windstopper throughtout). Plus they're water resistant if it rains.
  • 2009 Castellli Mannugura (or whatever) jackets are coming down in price on Wiggle, no discernable difference to the 2010. Full windstopper fabric and possibly water resistant. Still out of budget for OP but much closer than original RRP
  • 2009 Castellli Mannugura (or whatever) jackets are coming down in price on Wiggle, no discernable difference to the 2010. Full windstopper fabric and possibly water resistant. Still out of budget for OP but much closer than original RRP

Cheers, looks a bit too much like a motorbike jacket for me.

Down to the Gore Phantom II and this

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=4689