Does toe overlap mean a bike is too small?

solboy
solboy Posts: 368
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I have been offered a road bike that seems to fit apart from there is the toe overlap problem and this makes low speed manouvers a bit tricky. On the open road and at normal speeds this is obviously less of an issue.

Has anyone experienced this on their road bikes? Do i need a bigger frame?

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    It's not uncommon, so it doesn't necessarily mean the bike's too small.
    OTOH it doesn't mean it isn't too small either!

Helpful. eh?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    my commuting / winter bike is converted fixed track bike, and the toe overlap is only a problem doing track stands at lights... once moving it isn't a problem
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Toe overlap is a problem on smaller frames, and is a consequence of brands using standard 43mm or 45mm rake forks when ideally they should be using larger rakes and slacker head tubes to move the wheel out of the way. But that would cost more, so they don't.

Toe overlap is not indicative of whether the frame is too big or too small for you with the information you have given.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    AidanR wrote:
    Toe overlap is a problem on smaller frames, and is a consequence of brands using standard 43mm or 45mm rake forks when ideally they should be using larger rakes and slacker head tubes to move the wheel out of the way. But that would cost more, so they don't.

Toe overlap is not indicative of whether the frame is too big or too small for you with the information you have given.
    On the other hand it might mean that they have chosen to make the compromise in this area rather than others. Perhaps they have put fore/aft weight balance and handling as higher priorities!
  • AidanR wrote:
    Maybe he has big feet - as per Ronald McDonald :D
    Here's an example of the problem.

3689663926_e82ab24794.jpg

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

MD
    Can I upgrade???
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    It can also mean the front end has had a knock, and the headtube is not at the angle it once was.

Also - are you using your own pedals and shoes to test the bike? May find once yours are on with the cleats in the right position, it may not be such an issue.

Or you can get some shorter cranks (probably not what you want to do though).
  • My Giant has this, as you can tell as the wheel is close to the chainset, say it's normal. Also as said if you have large feet more likely to have overlap too
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My frame is slightly too big for me, and I still get toe overlap.

So, no.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The last bike I had without toe overlap was an old sit up and beg back in the mid-sixties.

All race bikes have it, nothing to worry about.
  • tiny little runts tend to get toe overlap more often than giants.