Aftermarket Cassettes

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I need to get a Campagnolo cassette for my new wheels that are arriving soon, been looking for a record one but they still command quite high prices.

Consequently I have become bike curious about ones like the KCNC or Recon...

Anyone with any experience of either?

Comments

• I have a brand new Campag SR 11 cassette, which could be for sale. Let me know if you are interested.
  • Anonymous
    Need 10 speed for now mate, cheers.
  • I can't believe you are being so cheap NapD.

No doubt you are buying some decent new wheels, you need a proper record cassette...a poor TT time or a hill you just struggled up, you just know it was down to having inferior components fitted... :D
  • Anonymous
    porker33 wrote:
    I can't believe you are being so cheap NapD.

No doubt you are buying some decent new wheels, you need a proper record cassette...a poor TT time or a hill you just struggled up, you just know it was down to having inferior components fitted... :D

Price is comparable tbh, just wondering if they offer any advantages other than weight...

But yes, a poor performance is always the fault of the components. All components must be rubbish as I perform badly with any kit.
  • Anonymous
    Right. Bought a Recon 12-23 (110grams!) and bidding on a KCNC so I will report back...
  • Anonymous
    Recon arrived today, 118g with lockring :shock:

It'll be used on the new racing wheels when I get them, so not mithered about wear...

It's a solid piece a la Sram Red only alloy rather than steel...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I need to get a Campagnolo cassette for my new wheels that are arriving soon, been looking for a record one but they still command quite high prices.

Of course they do, cos they're the best! My last Record 10s one lasted seven years.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    NapoleonD wrote:

Of course they do, cos they're the best! My last Record 10s one lasted seven years.

+1 for Record, you can pick them up second hand on ebay, some reputable sellers who are honest about the mileage. I've had no problem with mine with old and new chains.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I've done 7000 miles on a Chorus one and it's still good... I've got no reason to believe that a cheaper Veloce would last much less...

Frankly, I would stay with Campagnolo
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    I'll be getting a Campag one for everyday use...

The Recon one should be good to last at least one season of racing...

@MatHammond, I keep trying on eBay but people are paying virtually new prices for 2nd hand. I'm bidding on one at the moment, the last 6 I've tried to win have ended up going for nigh on 150 quid.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I'll be getting a Campag one for everyday use...

The Recon one should be good to last at least one season of racing...

@MatHammond, I keep trying on eBay but people are paying virtually new prices for 2nd hand. I'm bidding on one at the moment, the last 6 I've tried to win have ended up going for nigh on 150 quid.

Ah... so I had no reason to celebrate, when I flogged a worn Dura Ace cassette for 15 quid on E-bay a few years back....
    left the forum March 2023