niggling shoes

get on your bike
get on your bike Posts: 53
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
howdy all,

hello to all as this is my first posting. I recently changed my bike from a merida road race to a paganini ultimate carbon which i think is the business. The previos bike had spd pedal & the new has the 'other' ones with the cleat etc. (whats the name of em). Anyway I bought a new pair of northwave beauties, which are fully carbon & all the jazz. The right one is perfect fitting * not a bother but the left one is a nightmare. The tongue has been digging into my foot on the top & causing serious problems & sometimes have to stop to give it a break, other times its ok. I cut the tongue off but only down to a certain point but again sometimes gives me grief.

Everybody i have said this to has replied ' ah never heard of that one before'. My question is if anybody on this has any experience of this. I would apprecaiate your replies.

ta

d

Comments

• I think that's why I initially didn't get the Northwave with the carbon soles. Instead I settled for the Mavic galibier which have a narrow toe box which is very unpleasant when I'm cranking a high gear. Of course I didn't know this then since they're the first road shoes I've bought.
    howdy all,

hello to all as this is my first posting. I recently changed my bike from a merida road race to a paganini ultimate carbon which i think is the business. The previos bike had spd pedal & the new has the 'other' ones with the cleat etc. (whats the name of em). Anyway I bought a new pair of northwave beauties, which are fully carbon & all the jazz. The right one is perfect fitting * not a bother but the left one is a nightmare. The tongue has been digging into my foot on the top & causing serious problems & sometimes have to stop to give it a break, other times its ok. I cut the tongue off but only down to a certain point but again sometimes gives me grief.

Everybody i have said this to has replied ' ah never heard of that one before'. My question is if anybody on this has any experience of this. I would apprecaiate your replies.

ta

d
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I had that problem with my Spesh shoes. The tongue has some stiff foam inside to pad it out.
    I had to slit the tongue, cut the foam padding down and re-stick the tongue back together.
    No problem now :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Has anyone had the outside of thier foot / feet ache, new shoes and I am not sure if it is Cleet set up or not. they appear to fit fine, so a little stumped.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    yes i get feet ache on the outer of the foot, usually when pushing hard though not always. i think its to do with the footbeds as ive tried a couple of alternatives and it made it worse. i had a bike fit which had some shims placed between the cleat and the shoe which resulted in my leg tracking straighter...this did alleviate the problem somewhat but not totally. its bearable now though, although i'm going to try the shimano footbeds. the spesh ones didnt work for me. it seems uncommon as not much written about this and the bike fit chap although being very knowledgable wasn't that familiar with the complaint.
  • lef
    yes i get feet ache on the outer of the foot, usually when pushing hard though not always. i think its to do with the footbeds as ive tried a couple of alternatives and it made it worse. i had a bike fit which had some shims placed between the cleat and the shoe which resulted in my leg tracking straighter...this did alleviate the problem somewhat but not totally. its bearable now though, although i'm going to try the shimano footbeds. the spesh ones didnt work for me. it seems uncommon as not much written about this and the bike fit chap although being very knowledgable wasn't that familiar with the complaint.
  • Thanks lef, I am going to try my old insoles and see if that makes any difference.
  • lef
    ...oh and one more thing experiment with tightening the shoes differently. If i have them tight and then my feet swell due to heat its can sometimes seem worse.

If you find anything new out let me know!
  • Out today, I loosened off the middle strap and well it was much better, these are SIDI shoes and Boots, I was concerned that my feet were incompatable with SIDI, but it's looking better.
  • Just to let you Know (regarding the foot pain), I tried shoes, shims, cleat movement seat adjustment, at my wits end, so I went to see a Physiotherapist; it ended up being my back, my back and glutes were mega tight, have been stretching for a while now and touch wood, no problems. Just letting you know.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I was getting unbearable pain in the outer part of my foot. Always after 60 miles. I bought the newer Shimano pedals that have a wider foot platform andmoved my cleates so that the shoe is nearer the bike. This provided more support for my outer foot. Last thing is that I have my middle strap looser. So much more comfortable.
  • lef
    Just to let you Know (regarding the foot pain), I tried shoes, shims, cleat movement seat adjustment, at my wits end, so I went to see a Physiotherapist; it ended up being my back, my back and glutes were mega tight, have been stretching for a while now and touch wood, no problems. Just letting you know.

Thats interesting and glad to hear youre on the road to addressing the issue. For many years I have suffered from tight hamstring, glutes which often results in back pain. I shall start with some stretches and hopefully i will experience similar relief!